Wetsuit for sprint tri - rent or buy sleeves or sleeveless etc.

playwithzoe
on 7/7/09 9:24 am

Ok so my first sprint triathlon in Aug 2nd (Danskin SheRock in Philly) and it’s usually pretty hot in Philly during August although it’s been unusually cool so far this year.  We are swimming in a river and I can’t decide if I should wear a wetsuit (assuming it’s cool enough that they allow it).  I know they make it easier to swim, but it is a major investment.  I am thoroughly enjoying my training and I believe I will continue with the sport but I can’t decide, do I rent or buy?  I suspect I won’t be doing any winter tris but I know some bodies of water are always chilly so would it be silly to get a sleeveless suit?  I have a curvaceous hour glass figure does anyone have any recommendations for a particular brand?  Does anyone know of ways to find used suits?   Thanks for any advice.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Sherry_Berry
on 7/7/09 10:07 am - Dacula, GA
What's the distance of the sprint swim and what's your swimming experience?
playwithzoe
on 7/7/09 12:33 pm
It's a half mile swim and although I can swim it is my weakest sport.  I have a taken a few swim clinics and they have helped a great deal but so far I've only swam in a pool.  I don't think I'll have a problem with the distance.  I am doing a practice open water next weekend at the Jersey Shore in the Bay.

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 7/7/09 3:40 pm - Northern, CA
I love my wet suit. It helps me swim faster and I never have to worry about the water temp.

I did have to buy a second one though because my first one is too big. I knew that would happen but I thought I'd get an entire season out of it! (I think my suit was on the edge of too big the day I bought it, which didn't help.)

I like the fit of the Orca. They seem to have more room in the bust than some other suits. Both my suits are Orca Sonars.

One way to decide is to plan out your season and figure out the water temps for each race and how many there are and what kinds of practice you will do. This will help you decide if you need sleeves or not and also if renting makes sense.

In my case, I had two OWS practice before my first race and between those and all my races, renting would have cost more than owning. So I bought one. I went with sleeves because there is a lot of cold water around here. Plus I'm a wimp about swimming in the cold.

I always wear the suit if it's allowed. I think USAT says you aren't supposed to wear a suit if the water is over 78 degrees but it's not clear how strict races around here are about that. I've swum in 80 degree water with my wet suit and not been too warm.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

playwithzoe
on 7/8/09 1:10 am
If I was still in CA I would for sure be getting a wetsuit cause I am a total cold water wimp. 

That's a good point about sizing.  I want to lose at least 16 more pounds and that would put me in a size smaller than I'd fit into now according to the size charts I've seen.

I'll look at the other races for this year.  I know I'm going to do one in mid-September which is local so the water shouldn't be too cold.  I haven't thought about others yet.

I guess I'm leaning toward renting or going without this season.  That will buy me sometime to get to goal weight and then get a suit for spring season next year.

What's your feeling about used suits?

MacMadame
on 7/8/09 2:47 pm - Northern, CA
I think used suits can be a good deal. I plan to sell my old one, in fact.

In my case, I had 3 swims at 55-57 degrees to start the season and then one at 64. Renting for those 4 swims would have cost as much as buying! So it was worth it to buy my suit but now I have this extra suit sitting around that I have to deal with.

playwithzoe
on 7/8/09 2:51 pm
What size is your old suit?  Would it fit me at 5'6" and 150lbs?

MacMadame
on 7/8/09 3:05 pm - Northern, CA
It's an Orca Sonar WM. Their web site says it fits:

35-37 5'5"-5'10" 132-147

It was too long for me from the get-go but I had these enormous boobies and hips at the time and couldn't get into the Small even though I was 131 lb. at the time.

playwithzoe
on 7/8/09 3:22 pm
Seems like it should fit me but many of the reviews say it runs small and to add 15lbs to your weight and get that size, sounds like that is what you did.  I'm thinking it might still be too small but I guess I've pretty much decided to wait until next spring to make the investment.  I should be at goal, I don't think I'll be doing too much cold water swimming before then and I'm not too concerned with time yet.

MacMadame
on 7/8/09 3:38 pm - Northern, CA
Then again, I got in the XS and I was only 1 lb. under the top of the weight range.

I find, with these things, it really does depend on *where* the weight is. Which is why I like to try things on first.

Most Active