my knees are bothering me :(

Shelley L.
on 7/8/09 12:39 am - overland park, KS

Ugh, I've started working out more religiously, I've got good momentum going, but my darn knees are achey, I iced them last night a bit, I dont know if I have arthritis or just bad knees from being overweight so long. 

RIght now I do a little bit of treadmill, ellipitcal, some free weights, pilates, and zumba classes. I know the zumba classes are hard on my knees, so I do try to protect them and not do some of the more strenuous twisty type moves, but should I have them looked at, MRI'd or something? 

Never really had any major trouble except just achiness, but this is the most I've worked out routinely, 

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

Linn D.
on 7/8/09 11:11 am - Missoula, MT
I've had several knee surgeries, but I have an odd congenital condition.

There are some important things to consider before you see an orthopod.

Where is your pain and is it a sharp or dull pain.  If it is sharp and keeps you from moving normally you should definitely get it checked out.

Most of my pain is dull and related to inflammation.  When I first began exercising more intensely, I also had more knee pain.  It eased up a lot over time.  I do take ibuprofen and ice them occasionally, but I don't have much trouble anymore.

Like I said, if the pain is inhibitory, you should check it out.  If there are things that ease the pain and you can still exercise with little difficulty, it is more likely related to inflammation.  If it continues for more than 2 weeks, I'd get it checked out anyway.

Linn 
Shelley L.
on 7/15/09 2:58 am - overland park, KS

thanks for your reply, last week, the pain got worse that I was limping, it was on my right knee on the lateral side, about an inch below the bend, which was weird, cuz I knew it wasn't the cartilidge then. So i went to the dr and had xrays, he said he didn't see anything but a little arthritis which I expected, he fitted me with a brace and told me to take tylenol and gave me a RX for tramadol. and recommend PT if it didn't get better. 

I wore teh brace the next night at work and it was much better and is fine now. weird. I also iced the heck out of it. 

So I hope it doesn't flare up again, i will continue to monitor them but I did 45 min of cardio monday and an hour last night and they're fine today. I just cannot tolerate squats, lunges or stepping. I did some stairs over teh weekend before it started hurting and I wonder if that made it worse. i imagine stair climbing is not good for it. :(

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

Most Active