puking after a good workout???

DianaR
on 7/7/09 3:50 am - Junction City, OR
I was wondering if anyone else deals with this, and what's your strategy?

Whenever I complete a tough workout, I puke afterward. I think maybe it's just a genetic thing, cause my kid does it too, and my doc says not to worry about it, it's just how some people deal with adrenaline dumps.... But nutritionally, I can't afford to be puking several times a week, but I am not willing to cut back my workouts.

Had a tough workout last night, and at noon today, I am still queasy. I feel fine other than upset stomach and general food aversion.
Anyone have any tips, advice, general humor to help????
Thanks in advance!
Diana

Diana R
SW/CW/GW
248/122/138
"Then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-Anais Nin

saxman007
on 7/7/09 4:50 am - Port Huron, MI
 Never dealt with this, came close after my last 5k but that was a very bad race for me.  I wonder if there's a way to bring yourself back down slower, more deliberately?  Not sure what your workout was last night but maybe adding 15 minutes on the treadmill starting at a moderate level and bring it down to a slow walk, allowing your body to flush the lactic acid and bring your heart rate back down.  Sorry to hear!
DianaR
on 7/7/09 5:07 am - Junction City, OR
You know, that is probably a very good thought! My workout was a combo of things... I did some weight training in the morning. I am a Tae Kwon Do student, and I did a run before class, not knowing that it was a fitness night, think sessions of bag work, (kicks and punches), with sessions of sit-ups, push-ups, lunges, jumping rope etc. between them for two hours straight! hmm, makes me wonder if I could be slightly dehydrated, now that I look at my day yesterday. That can cause nausea, sometimes.... I mean, I always puke after intense work outs like that, but the nausea usually doesn't last this long.

Diana R
SW/CW/GW
248/122/138
"Then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-Anais Nin

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/7/09 12:10 pm - Fort Worth, TX
My 1st guess might be that your fitness level or "Base" is not in line with the VERY tough workouts you are throwing at your body. My guess is that you are working in an aerobic state and that could be contributing to your nausea. If you don't mind, what are your workouts looking like???
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

DianaR
on 7/9/09 4:20 am - Junction City, OR
In the morning, I did a kettle bell workout. That was new to me ( plus, I don't really think I liked it, and I don't think I want to incorperate it into my life!)  The rest of the stuff, the running, and the Tae Kwon Do fitness stuff, I have been doing for about 1 1/2 years, so I should be used to that by now. But I don't usually do them on the same day ( duh me, I must not have been listening in class when they announced that the workouts would be reversed that week!)

But even a year and a half later, when I run, I puke. When I work out hard, I puke. I have talked to the doctor about it, he said some people react to the adrenaline that way, and don't worry about it, but I was hoping someone else had  some advice for minimizing it. I am running about 15 lbs below goal right now, and can't afford to be losing the calories from puking, but there is no way I am giving up my passion, which is Tae Kwon Do.

Diana R
SW/CW/GW
248/122/138
-Anais Nin

Vicki PNW
on 7/7/09 12:55 pm
I think that the reason you puke is that you're becoming dehydrated and need to replenish your body fluids as quickly as possible. 

Do you drink water at all during classes or your workouts?  This kind of hydration is important.

Are you able to sip water or other fluids at all when you feel nauseated?

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

DianaR
on 7/9/09 4:23 am - Junction City, OR
You may be on to something Vicki, we do not have water breaks usually during our workouts. It's two hours straight, with thirty seconds only between sets. I sip gatoraid afterwards, but I think maybe it's too late by then, and I'm already past the point when it can help.

Diana R
SW/CW/GW
248/122/138
-Anais Nin

Most Active