flabby skin / prenatal vitamins Q's

MagickGoddess
on 7/6/09 1:29 am - Brooklyn, NY
I have sort of 2 questions I've been struggling with lately..

1. I've begun to notice some flabby skin... mainly on my underarms and then my thighs... it's not terribly noticeable but it's definitely there and I'm afraid it's going to get much worse since I still have another 40lbs to lose. The problem is, I've always had huge thighs (elephant-like, someone once not-so-kindly called them) because I'm a classic pear shape... Anyways, I'm looking for ways to start preventing and/or working on evening it out... I recently started walking/slightly jogging w/my friend, so I bought myself ankle weights to give it a little bit of a boost (I don't have pre-existing knee issues, so I think i'll be fine) and I was thinking I'll prob alternate the weights on my arms vs. legs every other day or whatever. I also bought one of those elastic exercise bands... and I have a bike at home (currently not being used), along with some dance videos and Tae Bo videos and yoga/pilates video (none being used at the moment either).

So what I'm really asking is- What exercise routine best helps to get rid of flabby skin on the arms/thighs? What else should I be doing besides walking/jogging for an hour each morning? (I know strength is important- but what kind? And for how long?) and are there any creams/lotions that people had sucess with, when coupled with exercise and whatnot?

2. I heard that prenatal vitamins are really good, especially for helping hair growth.. anyone have any experience with this? I'm having a really hard time finding chewable ones without a prescription, and I'm wondering if it's OK to just get the swallowable GNC vitamins, though I've heard/read that chewables are best for post-op (my doctor doesnt' have an opinion on the matter...)

Thanks!
xoxo,
Irina
 ~Irina
Weight Loss Surgery (gastric bypass): 1/13/09
Lower Body Lift/Tummy Tuck + Arm Lift + Breast Augment: 4/19/10
SW: 220, GW: 115, CW: 120
DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/6/09 4:27 am - Fort Worth, TX
Just a couple thoughts, as the skin question is asked a lot.... No amount of excercise you do will help to get rid of skin. You can excercise / weight train / cross train to lose the fat, but unfortunately, most of us Bariatric patients who have lost a tremendous amount of weight will probably need plastic surgery to remove the excess skin, it's just a reality. I wish I had a better answer, but that's as real as it gets. As for the prenatal vitamins... they have'nt worked for me yet, but maybe one of the women can chime in on that....See pic for prenatal vitamin results...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 7/6/09 12:15 pm - Port Huron, MI
Sorry for the Hijack
--Dan, how'd you get this picture in the post?  I tried to cut and paste in my other post and it wouldn't take them.  Wondering if I'm missing something
Thanks!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/6/09 3:01 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Copy and paste... not cut and paste... Peace
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

panhead58fl
on 7/7/09 2:04 am - Barboursville, WV
I take OptiSource chewable vitamins made for bariatric patients. Recommended by my surgeon. I get them at Walgreens. Can be bought on line or at the store. The run $26.00 a bottle is a months supply. You take 4 through out the day, it says to take with food. I like them, the flavor is orange and is not bad, doesn't taste like candy or any thing but doesn't gag you either.
http://www.walgreens.com/search/search_results.jsp?term=opti source+vitamins

pan head
wjoegreen
on 7/9/09 3:23 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Irina,

I have benefited from prenatal vitamins from the increase iron (28 mg instead of the standard 18 per tablet). I take 2 a day in the mornings and have since the surgeon suggested the chnage to prenatals at the 4/6 month post-op mark.   I am at 2 yrs 10 months now.

I am unaware of any benefit from iron or prenatal vitamins for retaining or preventing hair-loss.  I had the most immediate and noticeable recovery from hair loss from using biotin capsules. Biotin also aids in having more energy.  I still use it since the 6 month mark.

I found I could handle non-chewable multivitamins after 6 months.  Walgreens has a small round 18 mg iron multi and Walmart carries two small capsule shaped but pill form Prenatals (See -
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=prenatal+vitamin&Find.x=15&Find.y=5

They go down fine for me and I still use them effectively. 

The loose skin thing, exercise doesn't get rid of it but depending on age and skin pliability, exercise helps to minimize it.  Espcially long term exercise helps to tone and tighten muscles and that replace some of the void of the previous fat,...its just that the tomne and possible some muscle bulk is in differnt places and shapes that the fat was so it take the body  a little time to readjust.  Unfortunately, while both sexes have flabby skin, it does seem to be a more serious problem for the post-op sisters, than the brethren.

Best of luck,

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
turtlelogics
on 7/9/09 10:45 pm - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
For the hair loss, which i had a lot of right at the beginning, and i didn't have a lot to spare lol, i researched and started taking an additional B complex vitamin which of course contain biotin which is your B7, a low dose of zinc (12mg is recommended for woman) and I also added a copper supplement. Zinc in excess starts to deplete your copper so you need to be careful about the dose and for how long you take it. I took it for 6 months and have found that the hair loss stopped. As for getting multivitamins, I am in Canada in a Northern community so it is hard to find certain items and i have found ordering my multivitamins on line has been beneficial and  easy. I am on a delivery schedule and get my shipment every three month... much easier that way i always have what i need on hand. Hope this has been helpful

Danielle
Most Active