Work Out Meals

Tricia M.
on 7/6/09 4:40 am - Bakersfield, CA
I need some advice on foods that I should be eating before and after a workout. I have a personal trainer 3 days a week and today i passed out during our session. He told me to make sure I am eating the right foods while working out. I had the lapband almost a year ago and can eat pretty much anything in small amounts.

My questions are:
What foods would best help me while working out?
What and how soon before workout should i eat?
Should I eat something afterwards?

Thanks in advance, I am still new to working out and I want to maximize my working out rather than spending my time passed out!
Tricia   124 lbs lost with lapband...band removed on 9/19/09...Ticker is post removal centuryclubcardcopy.jpg Century Club Card image by sunfire_prinzes

rinaalston
on 7/6/09 5:46 am - LANCASTER, CA
I don't have an answer for you. I'm still a newbie....But I hope you are ok!! Glad to see you going to the gym....
Linn D.
on 7/6/09 12:47 pm - Missoula, MT
Tricia,

Most of what I've read and the experiences I've had say that it's more important to eat AFTER than it is before or during.

Before, it's good to have a higher carb small meal 1-2 hours before.  I sometimes have a banana or some oatmeal, but not often.

Don't really need much during unless the workout is 2 hours or more.  You should have plenty of glycogen stores to supply your needs.  Some people use gels or sport beans.  What you need and can handle during take some personal trial and error.

After, I've read that you should have a 4:1 carb to protein ratio within 30-60 minutes of working out.  I did notice that it helped me a lot having something after.  When it's really noticeable is a few days down the line.  I still have my same energy on Thursday that I do on Monday.  I'll often have a PB&J sand after a good run or spin class.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Linn 
panhead58fl
on 7/7/09 2:10 am - Barboursville, WV
Make sure you are hydrated prior to working out. Dehydration can make your blood pressure drop and make you light headed or pass out.

Runners World recommends 8oz of low fat chocolate milk after and run / work out. Suppose to be the right blend of carbs and protein.

pan head
playwithzoe
on 7/7/09 9:53 am
I just found this recovery drink - I haven't tried it yet but it sounds good and also low calorie.www.livefluid.com/Products/Recovery

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 7/7/09 3:45 pm - Northern, CA
I have something carby before and carby/protein-y after. I drink a sports drink during. Not because I need it, but because I need to replace the calories I burn or I lose too much weight. If it's a longer workout, I also do gels.

So maybe a banana before and a protein bar after. I also make these muffins with a 3:1 carb to protein ratio (Hammer nutrition claims that's the magic number; My Accel Gels say 4:1) and eat them after.

For early morning workouts, I often just drink my protein drink breakfast, about half before and half after. It's just easier.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active