Should I expect to lose lean muscle mass?

jcheryld
on 7/4/09 12:54 am
I met with my personal trainer at the gym for a free follow-up session yesterday. She had me do one of those handheld body fat analyzers and it said that I have lost 13lbs of lean muscle mass since March (in addition to losing 40lbs of fat). She scolded me quite a bit and blamed it on the fact that I am not doing enough resistance training which is why I lost some muscle mass... but I also have been told that weight loss for someone obese will result in a loss a considerable amount of fat, and some muscle. What do you think? What has your experience been?

I'm thinking part of her drill seargant routine was to show me how much I need to purchase personal training sessions, but its just not in the budget. Any thoughts?
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Linn D.
on 7/4/09 1:40 am - Missoula, MT
A lot of people lose lean muscle along the way.  I did.  Scott did also and still struggles with it.  I do feel less strong, but I also have a lot less total mass.  Unless you have a problem with it, I don't think I'd worry about. it.  My legs are as small as they've ever been, and they're still big.

I don't know how close you are to your goal, but I'd look at those things a lot more closely when you get there.  If you are satisfied with the way you feel and your body fat % is within normal ranges, I'd say that's the biggest deal.  

At this point my BMI is right around 26, but my body fat % is 18-20% on any given day.  I'd say that's fine.  I'm not as strong as I was 5 years ago, but I'm also much more fit.  That's good enough for me.

Linn
jcheryld
on 7/4/09 4:55 am
Thanks for your response, Linn! I've got about 25lbs until I hit goal, which I hope to conquer by the Fall. I'm going to try to work at maintaining what I currently have for muscle mass and lose a higher fat percentage as much as I can. If I wasn't so sore overall, I'd start today! LOL. Tomorrow it is
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Linn D.
on 7/4/09 7:00 am - Missoula, MT
I read Darrell's responses, and I just want to remind you that we all respond differently.  When I eat more protein, I actually have less energy.  I really do need the carbs.  It wasn't as noticeable until over a year post WLS, though.  I'm also 5.5 years post-op.

The main thing is to really pay attention to your body and see how it performs on what.  My workouts are pretty intense, and protein just doesn't give me what I need.  I'm also really careful to eat for recovery after workouts.  I used to wait a couple hours after a workout before I ate anything, but by the 3rd day I had nothing.

I'd show you a pic of me at my last tri, but our other computer isn't on right now and that's the one it's on.  Anyway, you'll see that I still have a lot of muscle mass even though I eat lots of carbs.

Like I said, listen to your body and give it what it needs and it'll do what you need for it do for you.

Linn
Darrell H.
on 7/4/09 5:25 am - Sinton, TX
How is your protein intake. My surgeon is adamant about me increasing my protein because of my activity. He was concerned about me losing muscle mass. I have since icreased my protein and my body fat percentage started dropping like crazy.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
jcheryld
on 7/4/09 5:54 am
I'll try that, too. How much more protein are you intaking per day? I've maintained the same protein levels recommended by my nut and surgeon since surgery, and even told them I am training for a tri, and she didn't mention that I should increase it- she mainly wanted me to focus on eating no more than 4oz meals at a time. On days when I do bricks, I am completely depleted afterwards and I end up eating more that day, so I know my body needs more than when I was just an "exerciser" if that makes sense. Wi**** wasn't a holiday weekend... I will email my surgeon's office on Monday!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Darrell H.
on 7/4/09 6:13 am - Sinton, TX
I get more than 150-180 grams of protein a day and sometimes I think that isnt enough. I do at least 3 protein shakes a day that are 40= grams each.  
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Most Active