Working out in the heat?

Darrell H.
on 7/2/09 12:28 am - Sinton, TX
Do you all do anything special when it gets extremely hot? (I guess EXTREMLY is relative) Today I cut my 20 minute run down to 14 1/2 minutes. It was 87 degrees, humidity of 72% for a heat index of 98 (This was before 9). I probably should have just finished the final 5 1/2 minutes, but I knew I probably had not hydrated enough. I did get 1000 yards in the pool a couple hours before the run, and I have a 30 minute bike ride scheduled this evening.

Is there any special changes you make for the heat such as hydration, nutrition or even the time of the workout? Is there a certain temperature or heat index when you say. "not today, at least not now"?
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Elisa K.
on 7/2/09 1:09 am - Lumberton, NJ
Hey Darrell:

If I am going out for a long (6+ miles) run, I wear my fuel belt.  It has 2 flasks that sit on my hips - I don't even notice them when I run.  I usually don't drink all of the water during my run, but I will certianly drink it during my cool down.  If it is really hot out, I will fill the flasks with an electrolyte mix I got at Vitamin Shoppe. 

I try to get my runs in after 6pm, and before 10am if it is really hot out.  I will listen to my body, and quit running if I have to.   I also try drink a lot of water during the day.

Most Active