Nutrition Questions

saxman007
on 6/30/09 12:05 pm - Port Huron, MI
So I was gonna pm this out to a couple of you thought I'd like to get more input on this.
I know we've talked about this recently but the search feature on OH leaves a lot to desire so here it goes:
1) What do you all use when you're racing/training.  Right now I'm using Gatorade and gels but I'm not sure it's the best thing to use.  Now, I don't see to dump so if you didn't dump would you change what you use?
2)  What's the differences between Gatorade and something like HEED/Perpetuem?  Does the protein in Perptuem make a big difference?
3)  I know Sherry has talked about a custom drink, anybody else use it or know what it is?
4)  What about electrolyte tablets?  
My goal when exercising 90 minutes of more is trying to intake at 300-400 calories an hour through gels and drinks.

On Friday I did a long bike ride (total of 50 miles) and on Saturday I had a pretty weak 5K.  About half way through I felt like nothing was firing right -- I pushed and sprinted probably the last .5-.6 miles of it and almost threw-up at the finish line.  My goal was to hurt at the end because I pushed myself so hard, just didn't expect it to be like that.
I don't remember ever feeling like this preparing for my marathon, but then again I was just trying to complete it so if I felt slower on a day that was fine.
Going back to my protein shakes tonight when I get back from my run and we'll see if adding them back in my routine in the morning doesn't help.
 Thanks for an suggestions!
--Dan
Seht
on 6/30/09 2:11 pm
http://www.infinitnutrition.us/information/osmofit.asp

I haven't used it yet.  I'm too cheap to lay out the funds for a big tub of it without trying/tasting it first.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 6/30/09 3:49 pm - Northern, CA
1) I'm still experimenting but right now I use a combo of bananas, trail mix, protein bars, my custom blend of a sports drink (I mix and match to get it the way I like it) and gels -- mainly Roctane and Accel Gel. I've also tried making my own protein bars and protein balls with mixed success.

2) Heed is a sports drink like Gatorade only with less sugar. It doesn't taste as good IMO but I think it's better for you. Perpetuem is for longer workouts. It has protein and fat and not just carbs. Studies say this is optimal after an hour (or two? can't remember) of exercise. I've never tried it.

3) Is it Infinite Nutrition? They have some sort of "make your own mix" product on their web site. I haven't tried it. I mix GU20 (another competitor to Heed and Gatorade), Recoverite and Healthwise Protein drink together in various concentrations. My body likes it and tastes good.

4) There are electrolytes in some drinks and gels so you need to be careful you aren't taking too much. Then again, if you are a heavy salt sweater you may need more than is in the drinks. I'm the opposite and the drinks and gels have too much sodium for me. It messes with my blood pressure to take in too much salt. Which is part of why I mix my own.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Mifiremedic
on 6/30/09 11:39 pm - MI
Fellow Steelhead buddy,

As youve probably read, I'm struggling with this as well. I am finding that Gatorade messes me up. Not sure if its because I'm not used to it or for something else.

When I drink my fruit punch Crystal light I feel great, but realize that Crystal light probably wont cut it during the Steelhead.

I dont seem to have problems with Gels, but once again not sure if Gels alone will give me what I need to stay upright during the race.

I also drink accelerade will good results, but the problem I find with using it on the bike (especially in my aero bar drink container)that it tends to breakdown and settle to the bottom.

As for salt tablets I've been meaning to do some research on this, but havent gotten that far yet. Are there any issues with taking salt tabs? How to figure out how much to take? Do I need to do a sweat test? If i'm only looking to complete the HIM do I really need salt tabs? Will I get the same amount of sodium replenishment by using some sort of sports drink? etc?

The other issue I have is that Gatorade Endurance & Water are the only fluids served on the HIM course. Should I get a camelbak for my hydration needs and skip the aid stations and their fluids of choice? Do I load up on bottles are chance it?

So many choices!

Please let me know what you find out.

Curt
Sherry_Berry
on 7/1/09 12:44 am - Dacula, GA
Yarp! Back in the "training days" I used a custom formula of infinit.
The taste is well...you need to get used to it-especially if you're like me and need a lot of sodium.

I had a lot of protein in my bike mix b/c I noticed in long distance if I ate on the bike (solids) my tummy was in a whole world of trouble on the run. At IMAZ I had maybe a half powerbar total, the rest infinit. I wasn't really hungry on the bike, got my calories in and voila. Although my tummy didn't like gels on the run, I was able to handle gatorade better than usual.
MacMadame
on 7/2/09 5:14 am - Northern, CA
"I had a lot of protein in my bike mix b/c I noticed in long distance if I ate on the bike (solids) my tummy was in a whole world of trouble on the run."

Yes! I've had similar experiences... I can eat pretty much anything on the bike. But it will get me on the run if it's something I can't eat on the run. (Actually I can't eat anything on the run, only drink.)

I also have problems with major gas on the run if my drink has too much sugar in it. It can cramp me up too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active