Antioxidant may boost exercise endurance

cschoen
on 6/30/09 4:41 am - NJ

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:05pm EDT

Full article here: www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE55S6D320090629

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables rich in the antioxidant quercetin may boost endurance, according to a small study with healthy college students.

The 12 fit college students, who were not regular exercisers, were given quercetin supplements for 7 days, which appeared to boost exercise endurance compared with a similar 7-day period without supplements, researchers report in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

Quercetin, a compound abundant in red apples, red onions, berries, cabbages and broccoli, and green and black teas, is believed to have multiple antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, and cell-energy activation properties that benefit health.

However, most previous research involved animals, report Dr. J. Mark Davis, at University of South Carolina in Columbia, and colleagues.

SOURCE: International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism (online), June 24, 2009

© Thomson Reuters 2009. All rights reserved.

Cyndi, Leader, OH Groups,
Northern NJ Stalwarts
and (the slow-growing) Keeping It Kosher After WLS

"I want my unwarranted optimism back!" Dilbert

Seht
on 6/30/09 7:49 am
Heh I was just looking at this stuff the other day.  It's in the FRS drink that Lance Armstrong is hawking.

Thanks for posting the article. 

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

cschoen
on 6/30/09 7:51 am - NJ
Scott, if you do decide to try that FRS, I'd be really interested to learn what you think about it.....

Thanks,
Cyndi

Cyndi, Leader, OH Groups,
Northern NJ Stalwarts
and (the slow-growing) Keeping It Kosher After WLS

"I want my unwarranted optimism back!" Dilbert

Seht
on 6/30/09 8:13 am
I have tried it, not on a consistant basis, just to see what it tastes like.
It is o.k.  I have tried the berry and I believe the other was mango.
I liked them well enough, they were 25 calories a can.

I cant say that I saw any increase in energy or anything like that, but I am a long time former cola/caffeine junky.  That stuff just doesn't seem to do anything for me.  I'm more likely to get a sugar buzz than I am a caffeine buzz.

I suppose I'd have to try this for an extended period of time to see if it had any real benefits.

Safeway stores carry it and so does my gym.  Both of them run 1/2 off sales all the time.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active