Triathlon MUST-haves?

jcheryld
on 6/26/09 10:39 am
Hi athletes!

I am in training for my first sprint tri this September! I'm doing my training now, and a friend mentioned that she is going to do the tri in a wetsuit or tri suit to help her with speed and temperature. In my initial previews of tri suits and wet suits, they are more than I want to spend on a 1-time event. In fresh water in September up here, I hear the lakes are about 75-78 degrees. Do you think a wetsuit or tri suit is necessary? What are some other must-haves for my first tri and what is a waste of money?
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

saxman007
on 6/26/09 11:23 am - Port Huron, MI
 The advantage of a wetsuit is partly for warmth but primarily for buoyancy issues.  My suit helps my DRAMATICALLY on my swim, that's why I love it.  Now my tri I did on Wed the water was probably 74-75 and I almost ditched the wetsuit.  You'll be fine temperature-wise without it.  As far as a tri-suit, they are handy and I enjoy mine.  They're made with the following thoughts: 1) you can ware 1 garment comfortably for all 3 legs, 2) They will dry quicker than traditional cotton clothes 3) The chamois for the bike is thinner than normal bike short chamois which will both dry quicker and allow you to run in it without feeling like you've got a diaper on.
For a one time event you could swim in your running shorts, in T1 pull on your bike shorts, in T2 take off your bike shorts and you're golden.  Just remember you won't be able to go into any tent or sheltered areas to change and nudity is a no-no at these things.  
Minimal must haves:  Googles (at least for me), bike, helmet, running shoes, towel.
Sure you'll get lots of other people chiming in.  I'm in my first year of doing these things and loving it -- here's hoping it's not a one time thing for you!
--Sax
Linn D.
on 6/26/09 2:22 pm - Missoula, MT
 I wear tri-specific clothing, but not a wetsuit (don't have one, can't afford it).  I need 2 bras when I run, so I have a bra and tank that I can wear for all 3 legs.  I also have tri bike shorts that I got from performancebike.com for a good price.  I wear them to spin classes also.  I've worn my favorite set for 3 tris now, and have even worn the tank for a half marathon.

I haven't remembered to get the quick lace things for your running shoes, but I will before my next one.  Makes a difference with cold hands.

Depending on the time of day, bike gloves might also be a good idea.

Don't know if you use bike shoes, but they are great.  You get a much more powerful stroke with them on.  Wouldn't go back to using reg shoes on the bike for anything.

Hope this helps a little.

Linn

MacMadame
on 6/26/09 4:35 pm - Northern, CA
You can rent a wet suit if you don't want to spend the money. I ended up buying one and now it's too big!

I never swim without it unless a race forbids it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 6/27/09 12:28 am
Seht
on 6/27/09 12:32 am
Bike, beg, borrow or steal from a friend
Running shoes & some non cotton socks check out a good running store.
Swimsuit & goggles.  You can rent a wetsuit if you want.
something to drink.

really thats it if you are only going to do the event 1 time and be done.

good luck and have a blast

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

jcheryld
on 6/27/09 12:17 pm
You guys are awesome, thanks! I am going to check into a suit rental for the day. Do you think that not training with it will be a big impact come race day? Not that I'm trying to be a part of the elite, I just want to complete it. Thanks!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Seht
on 6/27/09 1:01 pm
it may feel a little constricting, but I feel like it is absolutely made up for in the bouyancy you get.  It really does help with the swim IMO.

If you can get it a day early, practice taking it off and putting it on.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 6/28/09 12:36 am - Northern, CA
What he said...

Or you can buy mine. It's already too big for me and I need to get a new one!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Judi J.
on 6/29/09 3:40 am - MN
I've never used a wetsuit (only done 2 tris) but I remember AJ posting that you really need to practice in one first. So if you go with the rental, you may want to rent it for a practice run first

good luck!
Most Active