Thursday Workouts

saxman007
on 6/24/09 2:17 pm - Port Huron, MI
I know I'm cheating but want some advice:
A)  Do sprint work at the track tonight 
B) Do a 45 minute bike followed by at least a 5K (again on the track)

Either way I'm running on the track -- just wondering if more brick work or more sprint work will help my run more?
Tell me what way to torture myself while I read about what glorious activities you've done (man I get loopy after a late night race)
--Dan
MacMadame
on 6/24/09 3:59 pm - Northern, CA
It depends on what you do the rest of the week.

I try to do one speed/interval workout, one temp and one long one per week for bike and run.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Darrell H.
on 6/25/09 2:12 am, edited 6/25/09 2:16 am - Sinton, TX
OK, for some reason I didnt feel like doing my taper run today. Dont know what it is. Maybe the fact that I waited till late and it is already 95 degrees with a heat index of 100, but of course I did it. My Your First Triathlon plan called for an easy 20 min run walk session. Almost all of the runs in this plan have called for run-walk, so I never went by it, and just ran the time the workout called for. Today I started with a 1/4 mile walk, then I jogged an easy 2 miles at a 9:57 pace then I followed that by a 1/4 mile cool down. I felt better after the workout so hopefully I am ready for Sunday. One more easy swim in the morning, followed by a real easy 20 min bike ride on Saturday then on Sunday, Triathlons, meet your newest TRIATHLETE, Darrell hesseltine. I cant wait!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Darrell H.
on 6/25/09 2:22 am - Sinton, TX
As you know I am new to triathlon so this advice may not be worth the internet space it is typed on, but I have coached track events for quite a while. Speedwork and strides are an extremely important way to increase speed and really the only way once you get to a certain point. To build endurance, you do long runs which DONT have to be fast at all, but to build speed and stamina, you have to run fast. I require my athletes to have at least 1 speed workout a week. It would mainly be 1/4 mile repeats with 2 minutes rest in between. They hated those workouts at first, but came to enjoy them as I would cut the time required to finish one every couple of weeks.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
saxman007
on 6/25/09 5:10 am - Port Huron, MI
 Do you think you could shoot over some speed session ideas, maybe in a PM to not clutter the board?  Love to get some good thoughts from a track coach.
Looks like tonight is gonna be speedwork -- long bike ride tomorrow.
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/25/09 3:12 am - Fort Worth, TX
I ran 2 miles at 7.8 MPH... No more workouts until I do a race run-through at Buffalo Springs on Saturday....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 6/25/09 3:53 am
I'm supposed to be slacking today.   Gahhh that is hard to do.  It's harder to not exercise than it is to go out and exercise.

Weird.  A little over a year ago, it was absolutley the opposite.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 6/25/09 6:29 am - Dacula, GA
Dan, I was gonna say track workout for you!

I swam 2000M. That's all.
Cassie W.
on 6/25/09 10:26 am
40-minute swim for me. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Mifiremedic
on 6/25/09 10:52 am - MI
I did 1.5 hours of biking utilizing my indoor trainer. My bike "coach" has me doing power workouts, while staying in certain heart rate zones. Found its easier to do these workouts on the trainer than outside.

Maybe its my head, but my legs do feel stronger, even just after a week of these power workouts. Maybe its the increased protein intake this week.

Curt
Most Active