How overweight were you when you started running

ceelions2
on 6/23/09 9:31 pm - Canada
Hi all

I had wls 5 mths ago, started aerobic and weight classes at gym 3 mths ago and other than the usual aches and pains have really enjoyed getting back into exercise.    Three weeks ago I decided to kick it up and started the couch to 5k program - but now my hips are killing me, not when I am working out but later on.   I am almost 50 years old and I still have about 70 lbs to get to my initial goal, but would ultimately like to lose another 100 lbs

My question is am I still too overweight to run, am I too old to start this program or is hip pain normal when starting a running program and just keep going?

Thanks for the advice.

Ceelions

16 lbs pre-op
It's not how many times you fall that matters, it's how many times you get back up

Scott William
on 6/23/09 10:48 pm
Probably not, no and maybe!

I don't think that you are too heavy to start running.  Keep is slow and short as you ease into it.  Build up gradually.  I don't think that anyone is too old to start the program.  Again, make sure that you ease into it and as far as the hip pain goes, make sure that you are stretching them out.  You can find some info by doing a search.  I definitely find that my hips are tight and if I don't stretch them there is some pain.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Hawgman
on 6/23/09 11:12 pm - TX

I agree with Scott.

I think most of us were still on the way over the obese side of things when we got started.
Be patient and keep working at it.  Eventually, you will get were you can't do without the exercise component.

Congratulations on your decision to achieve good help.  Keep fighting the fight!

Darrell

Elisa K.
on 6/23/09 11:26 pm - Lumberton, NJ
I agree with the others - I don't think you are too overweight, or too old to start.  Just take it slow.

If you haven't done so, I highly recommend getting fitted for a good pair of running shoes.  Make sure you go to a running specialty shop - not a general sporting goods store.  I know that my hips will start to hurt if my shoes need replacing.

Good luck!!
MacMadame
on 6/23/09 11:38 pm - Northern, CA
I started at about 170-180 and age 51.

I had issues with knees and hips at first, too. But those went away over time. I think it was a combo of getting used to running, lose more weight and learning to run with better form.

Make sure you aren't over-striding and that should help.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

ceelions2
on 6/24/09 2:45 am - Canada
Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate advice from those who have been there and done that and can relate to the wls issues.

I really loved the way it felt to be able to run even if it was slowly and could really feel the difference in my fitness level in just a couple of weeks, so this weekend I am off to get new shoes, and until I lose a little more weight (can't stop aging), I will stay at each weeks program for  2 weeks instead of 1 to give the old body a chance to get used to things.

Thanks again

Ceelions

16 lbs pre-op
It's not how many times you fall that matters, it's how many times you get back up

Linn D.
on 6/24/09 5:26 am - Missoula, MT
Have fun with this new adventure!  I was about 200# when I started and I'm 5'5".

My hips are what hurt me at first also, they weren't used to taking that much pressure.  It subsided over time for me also and how have no problems at all unless I do really long runs.

The only thing about getting new shoes is to make sure they're right for your foot AND gait.  I started out in the wrong kind until I had someone who knows what they're doing watch me walk and run.

Linn
Judi J.
on 6/24/09 5:32 am - MN
when you go to the running store to be fitted for your shoes, see if they have a treadmill there you can try them out on.

I now own a useless pair of Nike's cause they felt good in the store because I felt support in my arches. Even just walking in them causes pain, ouch! On my SECOND visit the better shoe guy said I really shouldn't feel part of the shoe. I have Mizuno's now and love them.

If I had only tried them on a treadmill I could've returned them but I wore them outside so they are mine.

running didn't feel comfortable to me till about 190. I tried to start the couch to 5k at 220 and felt like I had concrete blocks on my feet.

just keep trying and good luck!
Lynette N.
on 6/26/09 12:55 am - LA
I don't think you are to heavy to run, but do check with your doctor to be sure your knee joints are up for the pounding. 
Lyn
Most Active