Wow...

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/09 2:03 am - Island Heights, NJ
Hey everyone.. thanks for keeping up with me on Sunday!

Woke up Monday morning to over 100 e-mails, board posts & facebook messages. I haven't even been able to get my cell phone messages and texts, because the cell service is horrible here at our condo in the wilderness or Northern Idaho.
Honestly, the love & support from all of my friends means more to me than the actual race.... I could not be more fortunate.

Just some little race notes, and I'll compose a full report when I get home on Friday.

Normally, swim is my worst part of the day. I actually enjoyed this one. The Mass start was a real rush... I hung toward the back and got in the water after a minute or so. The throng was not half bad, no major incidents. A good chop going out on the 2nd loop slowed me down a bit. Over all I finished it more than 10 minutes ahead of my 1:45 goal.

The hills on the bike KILLED my legs. I dropped the chain 3 times. There were a few screaming, twisty downhills that were exciting, though. I got a flat at mile 57 and knew my goal of sub-7 on the bike was done. Got it changed quickly, but my CO2 shooter jammed and would not work. Some MTB guys from across the steet ran home and brought me a pump, and I was finally on my way... 30 mintues shot. Tried to hammer the rest to make up time: BIG MISTAKE. Those hills ate me alive the 2nd time around... and by mile 80 it got very cold and the wind was howling. At least I beat the bike cut-off time by an hour!

The run started well... ran smoothly and just walked the aid stations. But the rain started coming down hard and the wind whipped off of the lake. By mile 14, my screwed up knees were toast. By mile 18, I was in full-out survival mode. I basically walked/shuffled from there in the dark.

When I made the final turn for the finish, I got a burst of energy and ran the last 7 blocks, high fiving the THOUSANDS of peolpe still lining the finish stretch and crossed the line.
No crying this time... Too Tired!

So, I'm gonna spend the next couple o' days here in the NorthWest haning out with my wife & daughter and start to try to make up for a year of time lost to training and race preparations.

Thanks again... can't wait to spend the rest of the season reading about everyone else's races!

-A.J.
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/23/09 2:11 am - Fort Worth, TX
You are the man bro... Great to hear you are doing good, great race, can't wait to read the full version of your report, and enjoy some R & R with the family, you deserve it. I can't wait to join in the ranks of Ironmen like you when I complete Louiseville full in August. It's all about the journey, not your finishing time... Your medal is the same as the guy who took 1st. Well done man, take care....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 6/23/09 2:12 am
Congrats!

Awesome job.  You deserve all the well wishes you have gotten.  This is a major achievement and definitely something to be proud of.

Best wishes

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Darrell H.
on 6/23/09 2:26 am - Sinton, TX
Awesome Job. It was exciting jus****ching on the live internet feed. Dang feed shut down about 7 minutes before you crossed the finish so I didnt get to see it. I am sure it was an awesome feeling. I was definately excited for you. Thanks for the inspiration you give me.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
saxman007
on 6/23/09 3:08 am - Port Huron, MI
 Awesome job man -- enjoy the time with the family.  Looking forward to following in your footsteps next year there!
--Dan
Sherry_Berry
on 6/23/09 4:11 am - Dacula, GA
AJ Perna is a ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!!!!

I knew you had a bike mechanical issue-just had that special triathlete feeling!
kypdurran
on 6/23/09 5:11 am - Baton Rouge, LA

A.J. great job buddy!  IMCDA is not an easy course and you rocked it!   Can't wait to read your race report.

Grats again IRONMAN!

Chad

Elisa K.
on 6/23/09 7:33 am - Lumberton, NJ
Congratulations AJ!!  Rest up, and enjoy your time with your family!! 

Cassie W.
on 6/23/09 7:41 am
Congratulations A.J.  You've accomplished an amazing feat!  Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

jon1970
on 6/23/09 1:49 pm
Incredible performance! You are an inspiration.

Jon
Most Active