Need T1 and T2 setup advice from you seasoned triathletes

Darrell H.
on 6/22/09 11:52 pm - Sinton, TX
I have read several books and web sites concerning transition set ups, but how do you all do it? Please include some of the obvious and not so obvious tricks of the trade. I dont have aero bars or bicycle shoes. I also do not have a HRM. I am thinking of having only water during the race or should I put gatorade in my bottle on the bike. As you can probably tell I am getting anxious, nervous, and probably a little preoccupied about all the details. Training has taken care of itself and I feel physically ready, but mentally, well lets just say that is another thing all together.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
saxman007
on 6/23/09 3:02 am, edited 6/23/09 3:02 am - Port Huron, MI
 I searched youtube and found some decent short videos about transitions that helped.
Here are some tips from what I've done (all two of them, lol):
#1 make a list of what you need for each leg and make sure you double check it.  
#2 Bring everything that you need and nothing that you don't!  You'll see everything from ultra minimalistic transition zones to people who look ready to camp out.
#3 Don't think you're going to remember things when you get to the transition zone -- if my nutrition wasn't taped on the bike and the race belt I would've forgotten it again last week.
#4 I'd say put gatorade in your bottle.  You'll want the fluids and the bike is the best time for this + you'll probably need fuel during the race.  
Here's my transition area as of right now:
Hang the bike on the rack
My transition mat/towel goes next to the bike 
My gear bag goes under the rack as close to the bike as I can get it
Put the bike shoes on the front of the mat -- if you're going to wear socks put one in each shoe rolled up for easy donning. 
The sunglasses go in the helmet: helmet on the bars if possible
Running shoes go towards the back of the mat -- race belt ON shoes.  If you're going to wear a hat on the run, put that on the race belt too.
Good luck and have fun!
--Dan

Sherry_Berry
on 6/23/09 4:14 am - Dacula, GA
Practice your transitions in your driveway...mock-up the race. Get your feet wet...get your feet dry, into your socks and runners.
Practice helmet, all that crap. Trust me!
MacMadame
on 6/23/09 3:24 pm - Northern, CA
Yes, there are lots of good videos on YouTube that give all sorts of advice plus you can see what they are talking about.

My main tip is to keep it simple. I had way too much crap for my first tri. Now I only have the bare essentials. I don't even wear gloves on the bike portion any more.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kypdurran
on 6/24/09 1:05 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Darrell I went from what I refer to as "Diva" transition zones to damn near nothing but a towel and my running shoes.  Going the minimal route has improved my transition times by leaps and bounds.   Less stuff on the ground means I have to think less and thinking less means I can get outta transition quicker.  :)
Darrell H.
on 6/24/09 5:23 am - Sinton, TX
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Sherry, call me stupid, but I never thought about practicing a mock situation in the driveway. That has helped me tremendously. I always was able to practice T2 on my brick workouts, but I never practiced T1. I never had my bike with me at the pool. Duh who said you needed a pool to have wet feet. I will definately use the less is better than more philosphy. I will only have my bare essentials, shoes, socks, helmet, sunglasses, and bike with gatorade in bottle there, 

Thanks again. If there are any more suggestions, please send them my way. Sunday will be here before I know it, but I will leave Friday morning so I need to make sure I have everything ready by then.

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
MacMadame
on 6/24/09 4:03 pm - Northern, CA
Is Gatorade what you train with? You should put what you train with in your bottle.

Nothing new on race day!!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Darrell H.
on 6/24/09 11:21 pm - Sinton, TX
I have gatorade usually before and after  the ride, with water in the bottle during the ride.

Sherry_Berry
on 6/24/09 9:46 am - Dacula, GA
I still practice transitions before a race...except for Ironman...those transitions aren't at the bike.

Also-when you get to half ironman or greater, practice water bottle exhchange. Your partner will have to run next to you while you grab the new bottle.
Most Active