1st Trail race / Run Thru Hell race report!

levittown_loser
on 6/23/09 12:24 am - Levittown, PA
First of all ... Go you!  Driving 11 hrs for a 5K!   that turns out ot be a trail race!  Double wow.

Sounds like you faired pretty well with the baptism by fire method.  Congrats!

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Vampi
on 6/23/09 6:09 am - Mandeville, LA
We were driving the 11 hours anyway... going on vacation!  LOL  So, I am not super dedicated, it jsut sop happened to fall on the day after the drive.  Believe me, I won't normally drive 11 hours for a race! 

It was awesome though.  I am looking at trail races near my home now.... thinking maybe I will do another... if I can work up the nerve.

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

saxman007
on 6/23/09 2:43 am - Port Huron, MI
 Wow, 11 hours for a 5K -- that's some dedication.  I'm not looking forward to 12 hours to get to the NYC marathon!
Way to go on the trail run -- trail runners tend to truly love running trails and I never understood it until I did one.  Different type of running but it is fun isn't it?
Way to go and keep the reports coming!
--Dan
Vampi
on 6/23/09 6:11 am - Mandeville, LA
KUDOS TO YOU FOR DOING THE NYC MARATHON!!  Thats huge!!  I want to be there one day!  That's one of my goals, to do a marathon.  

I really have to start being serious about training and finishing getting off these last pounds.  How are you doing a marathon only 2 years out from surgery?

And thanks for the encouragement!

BigMama2
on 6/23/09 11:35 am - MI
Congratulations on your run!  I'm jealous.  I want to run a 5k so bad.  How did you get started running?
Vampi
on 6/23/09 10:48 pm - Mandeville, LA
Thanks BigMama,

I started because a neighbor of mine aggravated the heck out of my to go walking with her.  After my surgery I knew I needed to do something for exercise and I finally gave in to her.  We walked for a few weeks... I was perfectly happy with that.  Then one day she asked if I wanted to try running from our neighbor's mail box to their driveway.  It was a very short distance... but I was exhausted and completely out of breath.  Well, we kept doing that until we made it to the end of the block... and then we were jogging past the driveway, past the end of the block and then around the next corner.  That's how I started.  I've been walking/running since August 2009.. about 2 months after my surgery. 

Please go to the library and check out No Need for Speed by JOhn "the Penguin" Bingham.  He is the writer that inspired me.  Helped me realize that the only one I am racing against is myself and that I don't have to be embarassed about be slow... or still being overweight and running.  

Good luck to you!  I hope you do it!  It's changed my life.

BigMama2
on 6/24/09 7:00 am - MI

Awesome!  I'll definitely look for that book.  I'm going to give it a try and start slow.  Thank you for the inspiration!

victoria R.
on 6/24/09 12:45 pm - goose creek, SC
Congrats on your race.  I did my first trail 5k 2 weeks ago & the terrain was similiar to what you described and I ended up getting lost:(  It was an inagural race and the course wasnt marked clearly at all but it was an experience.  Keep on girl!

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Most Active