1st Trail race / Run Thru Hell race report!

Vampi
on 6/22/09 1:37 am, edited 6/22/09 1:41 am - Mandeville, LA
Saturday - Drove about 11 hours from New Orleans, LA to St. Pete, FL area.  Got to sleep about 11 pm

Sunday - Up at 5:30, did mom duty... dressing the kidlet.  Drove about 40 minutes to the race.

I hadn't realized the race was a trail race until the night before!  I thought it was called a Run Thru Hell because it was summer in Tampa!  I was wrong!  LOL

I just started running in August on last year... so I haven't been at this for very long.  I was also recently out of commission for about 3 months because of an IT band injury.  I also still have about 35 pounds to lose, so weight is an issue still. 

It was only a 5k, but the running terrain VARIED HUGELY throughout the race.  Blacktop, sand, tiny little weed covered paths, through branches, a boardwalk, roots, folage, and a huge ditch at the end that stopped me dead in my tracks! 

I started out  with the goal of running (more like a SLOW jog) the entire race.  I just wanted to do the whole thing without stopping for a walk.  About a mile and a half in I realized that I was exhausted from too little sleep, the traveling, and it wasn't going to be the day to do it.  I needed to walk, so I was disappointed in myself, but I was determined that if I was going to walk I would walk as fast as I could and continued to jog periodically through the last 1-1/2...   I was still really scared about the trails.  Every corner I took I was shocked!  I just kind of said to myself "You've got to me kidding me!  I can't believe I am doing this!"  I also thought that these people have to be crazy and then I would realize that I MUST BE CRAZY for doing this - for FUN no less! 

I finished in 42:15 which is a personal record.  Two minutes off my flat course time.  So, with my fourth 5k under my belt and my first trail race I am pretty damn proud of myself.  After I crossed the finish line I cried with relief and disappointment and pride and a rush of emotions!  Never cried at a race before either.  So I guess it was a day of firsts.  

WADDLE ON!!! 

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Linn D.
on 6/22/09 1:49 am - Missoula, MT
 Very Cool!

It's interesting when the emotions come up and you don't expect it, but what a neat feeling.  

Great accomplishment!  2 minutes off your time is great.

My first trail run was during a triathlon.  Everyone kept talking about THE HILL.  I didn't know how bad it was until I was on it.  I walked up most of it.

You're doing great!  Thanks for posting, and keep up the good work.

Linn

Vampi
on 6/23/09 12:15 am - Mandeville, LA
Thank you, Linn!  

I think I actually want to do another trail run.  LOL  As crazy as that was, I was looking up one that's near my home last night.  Supposed to be the 2nd largest in the country and very muddy.  Even though I did one, I am still terrified!  

Thanks again! 

Seht
on 6/22/09 4:44 am
Congrats on completing the race.
I know the frustration of having to stop and that it is real easy to be hard on yourself.  Step back, take a breath and focus on the positives.
You completed the race and you still set a personal record.  All of this on a course you weren't prepared for until the night before.

Congrats!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Vampi
on 6/23/09 12:18 am - Mandeville, LA
Thanks, Scott! 

I love your signature line quote! 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/22/09 6:55 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great Job! Sounds like it was a blast...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 6/22/09 10:08 am
Sounds like the name was a good fit for the course with such a varied terrain.  Congratulations on making it through to the finish  . . . and with a PR despite the challenges.

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Vampi
on 6/23/09 12:20 am - Mandeville, LA
Thank you so much for your support! 

Hawgman
on 6/22/09 11:34 pm - TX
Great job!  It always amazing to me that as athletes, and that is what we are, we are so terribly hard on ourselves.  Think of where you were when you had all the weight on you and the things that you have accomplished since then.  I, too, get emotional at the ends of races and even long training runs, thinking about how far I have come.

KEEP IT UP.  YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!
Vampi
on 6/23/09 12:13 am - Mandeville, LA
Thank you so much!!  I am really hard on myself.  It hasn't even been a year since my surgery and I guess I am impatience.  I really am trying very hard to remember to celebrate the small victories.  

It's hard not to compare yourself to other people too.  This change in my life has been so much more than a change in my body.... lots of work on building up my mind too.

THANK YOU!

Most Active