New bike ??

Seht
on 6/19/09 12:46 am, edited 6/19/09 12:46 am
So I think I finally have my wife talked into letting me get a new bike.
Well, after I finish the kitchen remodel.  So I am starting to drool and dream about what bike to get.
I think I even have her resigned to the fact that I may spen 3-4k for the bike.  But this has got to be the last bike purchase I ever make unless I manage to somehow make some money doing triathlons.

I really like the Cervelo P3C, but i'm not sure why other than I like the lines and looks of the bike.  Plus I really like the guy and girl that own the triathlon shop that sells them.  They have been pretty helpful, and are very free with the advice or just general chit chat.

But what I am looking for is concrete reasons to make my purchase.  Quality, durability, performance etc.  So for those of you who have TT/Triathlon bikes, what do you have, why did you chose it, and would you make the same choice again.  Oh yeah and It am committed to this being a carbon fiber bike.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 6/19/09 1:12 am, edited 6/19/09 1:12 am - Port Huron, MI
 P3C  is a sweet a$$  bike, no doubt!  What other bike line does your shop carry?  In that price range you really aren't going to get a bad bike, it's a matter of what fits you the best.  One of the local stores www.bikesportmichigan.com/ has some great reviews and editorials on their page.  There's lots and lots of great info on this page including a good description of the differences between Ultegra & Dura Ace and why DA is not worth it for most of us (imagine a bike shop saying here's the information you can spend your money on it but you'd be best spending it elsewhere).
Sorry for the tangent -- Tom Demerly did my fitting and looking at my measurements recommended the Felt line.  For taller guys the larger Cervelos just don't fit us as well.  Bottom line, the FIT is the crucial aspect on a TT bike.
Cervelo/Felt/Look/Cannondale/Trek are all great bikes.  One of the guys I'm training with is talking about getting a Trek -- only problem they really have is there's not many Trek shops set up to do Triathlon fittings.  If you have one in that area I've read some great reviews of their newest bikes.
If you haven't checked out www.Slowtwitch.com check them out too.  If you click on the products they've got the breakdown of what was ridden in Kona this past year and a good review of the different price points.
The forums there are great and if you do some searching you'll find lots of reviews of the bikes.

I absolutely love my Felt and it's FAST!!!!  I've got more bike than I have an engine for right now but that just motivates me to get out there and work on the motor:)  FYI: My set-up is the stock Felt B-12 (Ultegra based drive train) and a nice Jet 6/Jet Disc race wheel combination.  I added in Look Keo carbons and I'm a little over the top end of your price range.
Think about all the things you may want: wetsuit/race wheels/aero helmet.  If you went with a P2 you could get a great bike add flashpoint wheels + rear wheel cover and you'll probably be up to around 3K (just guessing on this though).  Add in an aero helmet (100-150) and a nice wetsuit (300-600) and you'll be outfitted VERY nicely and be within your 3-4K price range.
By the way, I'd say I'm in the top 5% of gear at most of the races -- makes me feel like a wanna-be, but again also makes me want to get my engine up to where my gear is, lol.
It's always fun to go shopping for these types of toys:)
Good luck!
--Dan
Seht
on 6/19/09 1:38 am
Great reply, thanks,

I already have my other gear minus the Aero helmet.
So for me the last thing to get rid of is the cheapy bike I started with.
I will certainly be in that wann-a-be range with this new bike, but I don't want to have to upgrade again.

Thanks again

Scott

Seht
on 6/19/09 7:34 am
Well, after visiting all the local stores today and looking at
Cervelo
Felt,
Giant,
Specialized
Scott
Trek,
(I even got to look at a Quintana Roo that was in for repairs.  Nobody local carries them, I just happened to see one up on the rack.)
and reading the reviews online, I think I have decided.
I am going to go with the Cervelo p2c and upgrade the wheels.
It should come in around the top of my budget, but I think that is what I want.
Especially since I was given the edict that I couldn't buy another bike after I bought this one.

So unless someone has some overpowering advice, or I get one of those once in a lifetime prices on one of the other bikes, it's going to be the p2c with carbon race wheels.

Now I just have to finish the home improvement project my wife has in front of me.  That and pray that nothing else financially cripling comes along between now and then.

Scott

saxman007
on 6/19/09 7:54 am - Port Huron, MI
 What wheels are you going to get?
Personally I think that's a great choice -- that's the route I went and absolutely love it.  I love the sound that deep dish wheels make when they go by!!
Oh yeah -- good luck on this being your last bike purchase, lol.  
Sherry_Berry
on 6/19/09 12:00 pm - Dacula, GA
Make sure you have a decent set of training wheels and don't ride your race wheels except for racing.

I have an Orbea Ora Ultegra. I LOVE it! Best fitted bike ever! My Giant used to give me a backache. this one is SWEET! Full Carbon frame...ultegra componants.

Remember...it's not how much you spend on the bike...not all bikes fit the same. Also, it's the machine (athlete) that makes the bike fast. I don't see myself getting another bike. I love "Senior Miguel"
Most Active