Back from my first ever event a 5K

Darrell H.
on 6/20/09 12:55 am - Sinton, TX
OK. Let me preface this saying this was for a great cause and hopefully someday soon we will have a cure to the terrible disease called breast cancer. i am so proud of my friends who organized this event and I am extremely happy that my first event could be in support of such a great cause. There were 70+ participants which was awesome as the organizers were hoping for 30. Two of those were me and my wonderful wife. Wind was blowing at about 8-10 and humidity was high with temps about 89 at start. Now for my report.

I started out way too fast, but I didnt really realize it. There was one lady who has been training for a 1/2 marathon who I tried to stay with and I did a good job of it for the most part. I figured she was at about a 9:20 pace and I thought, heck its a race you can maintain that. I was feeling good early on since I did warm up and stretch before the start. When I got to the 1st mile I looked at my watch for the 1st time and oh crap, it read 8:57. I had no business going at that pace. I tried slowing down a little, but I think I maintained a quick pace too long. I know I was slowing down, but oh well. I passed 2 runners early on and that was all, but I was not passed at all by anyone. I ended up finishing with a time of 31:33 for a pace of 10:09. Eight people crossed the finish line before me, but more importantly, I ran across it with a smile on my face. I am thrilled to compete again, but I also know I have a long way to go.

Things I have to do soon. First, get a Garmin. I have got to get this pace thing down. I know that had I maintained 9:30 early on, I could have broke 30 min. Secondly, I need to continue to train hard. I think in the long run this will help me with my 1st tri a week from tomorrow.

Now the best part of the race. As I stated earlier, my wife also participated as a walker in this event. After I completed the run, I walked around for a few minutes and got some fluids in me. I then walked a little more than a mile back through the course where I caught up with my wife. She hasnt walked more than a mile in years and hasnt walked at all in several weeks, but she was going to do this for this cause. She lost her mother to breast cancer and her sister was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago and just had a masectomy. Well when I caught up with her, she had a smile on her face. (OK it wasnt at me, but rather the water and gatorade I was carrying) We finished the rest of the walk together and crossed the finish line hand in hand. That meant a lot to me and really made the day extra special!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
BOS02215
on 6/20/09 1:34 am
Great report!!  It makes the run so much more meaningful when it's for a good cause! I'm proud of you AND your wife! One day I hope to be at a sub-10 minutes mile. 

I have been giving serious consideration to buying a Garmin, as well. Not sure which model I would buy and I was distracted for a while by the shiny GoWearFit, but I realize my fitness goals are more important than my 'calories burned' goals were... or wearing something 24/7.

Congrats again on your run! It's a great way to kick-off the weekend!
saxman007
on 6/20/09 2:57 am - Port Huron, MI
 Great report Darrell!!!  Sounds like a nice event with a nice turnout.  Roughest thing in almost any race is pacing yourself.  Going back and walking back in with your wife, priceless!!!!  You inspired her to get out there and then were with her when she accomplished that goal.  Way to go man, way to go.
I almost feel like a Garmin 305 billboard but it's a great HR/GPS at a great price (around $150).  They're having problems with the new 310XT and after doing a couple of tri's I don't know that I really need something with me in the water, especially at $350.
Keep on moving and I can't wait to read your tri report
--Dan
mcarthur01
on 6/20/09 4:18 am - Cumming, GA
great job, i got a garmin 405 for my b-day a couple of days before my first race and it has been invaluable regarding pacing.  (i..e., my first race was run with a steady pace for each mile, mostly due to the fact that i had good information from the garmin).

keep up the great work!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/20/09 5:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great job big daddy!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kypdurran
on 6/20/09 9:49 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Great report and superb job on your first of many, many races Darrell!  

Chad

levittown_loser
on 6/20/09 11:46 pm - Levittown, PA
Great job Darrell!   The Garmin has really helped me get a handle on my pace.  I'm not sure how I ran without it! 

Are you going to get the new 310XT ? 

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Darrell H.
on 6/21/09 12:08 am - Sinton, TX
No not the 310. Probably the 305. I think I can talk the wife into allowing me to spend around $150. She is definately beginning to not like the financial aspect of the sport so much. lol
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Most Active