My 1st ever race tomorrow- a 5K

Darrell H.
on 6/19/09 9:41 am - Sinton, TX
My new life officially begins tomorrow at 7:30 am with the 1st Annual Sinton, Texas "Saving Second Base" 5K run/walk. I am so excited. I am also a little nervous. It will be a rather small event with a little more than 70 participating, but I still want to do well. I have set a goal of less than 30 min for this event. I dont think this will be a problem, but I just dont know what I am going to do. It will definately be hot with high high high humidity. Heat Index could be around 103-110 even that early. It is for a great cause (Breast Cancer Research) and I am ready. I want to run hard, but I also want to stay healthy for my 1st tri next sunday. I will give my 1st ever race report sometime tomorrow. 470lbs last summer (July) to 232 now. Who would of thunk it? Thanks to all of you for all of your support.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
MacMadame
on 6/19/09 9:57 am - Northern, CA
What's your current pace? I'm still not up to a 30 min. 5k yet!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Darrell H.
on 6/19/09 11:00 am - Sinton, TX
I ran this course the day before yesterday in 32:02 taking it easy and running by myself. Lately I have been at a pace of 9:45 running alone. I am hoping to shave 6-10 seconds off that running in an event and deep down probably thinking I have something to prove to my small home town since everyone here has known me my whole life.

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
MacMadame
on 6/19/09 12:00 pm - Northern, CA
I'm jealous.

I am doing a 10:30 pace on my temp runs now and did 10:43 in my last tri so I'm getting faster.

But I'm still slow!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Elisa K.
on 6/19/09 10:58 am - Lumberton, NJ
Good luck Darrell!!  The first finish line is the sweetest!!  Enjoy your moment, and make sure someone gets a shot of you crossing that line!!
Darrell H.
on 6/19/09 11:02 am - Sinton, TX
Thanks Elisa. My daughters are both in charge of photography duties. Then after this one, I hopefully can get them running the 5Ks with me and maybe even a sprint tri sometime down the line.

Elisa K.
on 6/19/09 11:35 am - Lumberton, NJ

I hope that you can convince your daughters to run with you!!  I got my husband hooked - now we train and race together!!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/19/09 1:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Darrell,

Your new life officially began when you signed up for the event and started training. Tomorrow will just be your reward for making the decision to take control of your life and fitness. Go get em bro and tear it up!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mcarthur01
on 6/20/09 4:19 am - Cumming, GA
i couldn't agree with this comment more.... it's the journey not destination that this is all about...
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active