personal trainer consult, what to expect?

mistiimichelle
on 6/17/09 10:09 am - Canada
RNY on 09/02/09 with
Hi all,
I have been going to the gym 4day a week for the past 3 1/2 months and have finally decided to use my half hour consult with a personal trainer.

I hate stepping outside my comfort zones, ugg, but I want to learn more.

I asked if they are going to show me how to use the machines....no..... and they arn't going to set me up with a program....im fine with that....but  what are they going to do besides try and get me to sign  up for $50/hr sessions? 

Take care,
Michelle
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/17/09 12:32 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Probably not much more than try to upsell you... They migh****ch you walk on the treadmill and then stare off at the tv's when you can't see... they will do that for 10 minutes, put you on an eliptical for 10 minutes, and then take the other 10 minutes selling... It's just my guess, let me know if I am in the right ball park.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 6/17/09 4:58 pm - Northern, CA
At my gym, we get two sessions for free. The first one is an evaluation only -- they measured and weighed me including body fat, back flexibility and arm strength. The second one was a mini-training session and it wasn't much different from a full session, only shorter.

But they didn't have to upsell me as I went into it as a way to pick a trainer as I knew I wanted to do this.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

neetslove
on 6/17/09 10:18 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
ive been going to the gym also and only to the treadmill  m not really sure how to use the machines or where to even begin to make sure i am doing the right thing. i confronted the trainers they wanted 35 an hr almost a grand for the year it was way outta my prce range.
mistiimichelle
on 6/18/09 3:35 pm - Canada
RNY on 09/02/09 with
Thanks to all that replied,
I will let you know how it goes.  I am not too confident with the gym that i go to.  I enjoy that i am left alone to do my thing but there is usually only one staff member working and they do not have knowledge of the machines and how they work, they can not answer basic questions.  I know that other people come in to teach classes but after their class is over they are gone. 

I am interested to see how it goes.   One more of the many firsts to come.

Take care,
Michelle
Michelle B.
on 6/18/09 9:06 pm - Augusta, ME
The machines at my gym have picture instructions on how to use them.  That is what I do. 

Consult weight 235   / Day of Surgery 191   / Current 133 / Goal 125

Most Active