Running post-surgery

kelibr
on 6/16/09 3:08 am, edited 6/16/09 3:10 am
I  was just wondering how long after surgery could you start running?  I used to run (many many moons ago in high school) and I really want to start back.  My city has a beginning runners program (or returning runners) that will start on July 23rd.  Do you think I will be ready to start some light running 3 1/2 weeks post op?

Kelly

Edited to say: I have been doing the elipse for 5 months and do about 3-7 miles a few times a week...but no road or tredmill running because of my knee...

High/Surgery/Current/Goal
       288/242/138/145

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/16/09 3:45 am - Fort Worth, TX
I think you should seek the counsel of your surgeon on that one....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kelibr
on 6/16/09 6:52 am
Thanks.  I never think of questions when I get to see him.  I will have to make a list for the surgery date.  I will also see him two weeks post-op so it may be a good time to ask him then.  I would assume it would depend on how well I am doing. 

Kelly

288/242/138/145

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/09 5:32 am - Maumelle, AR

Is this a run/walk program?  I would be hesitant to say you could all-out run at 3.5 weeks post-surgery, but I imagine if you started out on the walking option, you'd be in good condition to begin running towards the end of the program, maybe 6-8 weeks post-op?  It'd definitely be a good idea to ask your surgeon this question...

kelibr
on 6/16/09 6:53 am, edited 6/16/09 6:54 am
It's a beginner walk /run program for women that also has classes on proper shoes and how to train with out injurys.  But I assume they would start running pretty early.  The goal is to train for a 5K in 10 weeks.

Kelly

288/242/138/145

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/09 7:11 am - Maumelle, AR
I did a program very similar to this earlier this year, and they had groups based on different abilities -- there was a walking group, slow beginner group (routine for first few weeks was something like run 15 seconds and walk 4 minutes), regular beginner group (run 2 mins/walk 3), and intermediate/advanced (all running).  I bet you could hang with a walking group or the slow beginner group, if such a thing exists in your clinic.  With ours, the goal was not so much to *run* the whole 5k as much as *finishing*.

If your doc clears you, you should totally go!  I loved mine and I plan to do it again next year.  Just be sure to listen to your body and honor its limitations that early out!  And be careful -- you absolutely do NOT want to get dehydrated, especially at that stage when you're in ketosis... it could destroy your kidneys.
kelibr
on 6/16/09 11:42 am

That sounds like a plan.  They say it's for people who have never run.. so I would assume they would have a walking group.  Plus you don't have to attend the group runs.  So maybe I could do my walking and catch up after I am able to do more running...

I just want to start something I can stick with... I need the exercise.  I used to think group classes were for me but lately I realize I like being on my own.  I feel more a sense of accomplishment. When I go to the classes I am always watching the clock and thinking when is this aerobic he** going to be over

When I go all out on the ellipse for 35 minutes.. dripping sweat harder than I ever do in aerobics class I feel energized and euphoric. (weird I know)

Kelly

288/242/138/145

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/09 12:59 pm, edited 6/16/09 1:22 pm - Maumelle, AR
Not weird at all!  I'm a new runner, only started in January after I'd already lost 80 lbs.  Kudos to you for starting earlier!  I did the couch-to-5k program before the clinic I described to you, and I literally started from the couch.  Recovery will be so much better for you with an exercise base.  It's important to walk as soon as you can anyway... my surgeon was militant about the number of times his patients were required to walk the halls in the hospital and beyond.

Anyway, I understand about the euphoria.  Exercise is great stress relief for me (I've got a teenage daughter, talk about stress), and as a previously adamant non-runner it's astonishing to me that I can enjoy it this much.  But I do!  And having a goal to look forward to is great motivation.

The group I did was also a women's group, and there was such a fantastic feeling of cameraderie by the end.  The 5k was more like a huge party with all the leaders encouraging us baby runners along the way.  I hope yours is as wonderful.
kelibr
on 6/17/09 1:06 am, edited 6/17/09 1:07 am
That sounds great. I am going to try to do it. Again the goal is to finish!

Thanks for your help.

Kelly

Edited to say:
Our start weights are very similar.  I hope I am able to do as well as you have done!! Congratulations.

288/242/138/145

MacMadame
on 6/17/09 4:59 pm - Northern, CA
Well, if you asked my surgeon, he'd say "do whatever you feel up to as long as you aren't lifting weights". (No lifting over 20 lb. for the first month or so.)

I know this because that's what he said tonight at our support group meeting when someone else asked him.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active