Tips for a less than 2 hour 1/2 Marathon???

jnypooh
on 6/16/09 1:41 am - Westminister, CO
Hello everyone-

Have not posted much before.  I finished my 8th 1/2 maraton on Sunday!!!!
My first goal is always to finish and my second goal is to cross the finish lin in less than 2 hours.
I am very close my best time was 2:03.  My last 1/2 was 2:06 (Hills!!!!)  Looking for tips to increase speed.  I injured my groin muscle about a year ago and seem to have a mental block about increasing speed.  When I injured myself I was running a 1/2 and it was at a down hill.  It was the worst pain ever and I could not walk for almost 3 days.  I am doing another 1/2 July 11th and am training to run a full marathon in San Francisco in Oct. (hills again)!!
So my question is about building speed and getting past a mental block after an injury???
Thank you,
Jennifer
Jennifer
RNY 6/17/2003
336/150/140 at goal

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/16/09 1:55 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Jennifer,

What does your weekly training routine look like now? Do you do any speed work?

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

jnypooh
on 6/16/09 2:01 am - Westminister, CO
I have been trying to do some speed work on the treadmill once a week.  I think it's when I get outside and am on terrain that is hilly i tend to slow down in fear that I will end up in pain again.  I run 20-25 miles per week take a 60 min spin class 2 times a week,  do a weight lift class called group power 2 times a week and pilates 2 a week.
Jennifer
Jennifer
RNY 6/17/2003
336/150/140 at goal

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/16/09 3:06 am - Fort Worth, TX
Good deal. To simulate actually running outside on pavement, your treadmill setting should be at 2% or level 2. You should try to do some speed work on a track (400 meters or 1/4 mile) try running at 9-10 RPE for a lap, walk 1/2 lap recovery, repeat 9-10 RPE, etc.... try to do that with 4 intervals. Also, I don't see any hill work either... You can get pretty good hill work in on a treadmill too. The key to hills isn't speed, it's power, so your spin and Group classes will help you with that. I think that your base is super strong... You need to do more Anaerobic interval training to get to the next level. Best of luck.....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active