Elliptical or Walking?

Cindy C.
on 6/15/09 5:22 am

I haven't been to the gym for months.  I'm an accountant and only got to get on the elliptical occasionally during tax season (none in March and April) and then had plastics right after tax season was over.

My inner thighs are really flabby now.  I asked the surgeon about a lift and he said they were not bad enough.  He said exercise to tone everything up.

I've got a lot going on right now and prefer to exercise at home vs the gym.  I have an elliptical and a treadmill.  To tighten my inner thighs (up really high) which is best, the elliptical or walking?  When I walk I usually walk in the residential section of town.  It gives me a variety of both flat ground and an incline.  Should I do a combo of the two?  Lastly, are my expectations too high for the elliptical and walking?  Should I try to get back to the gym if only for the leg toning machines?

I really need some advice here.  This is a big issue for me. 

Thanks,

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

Seht
on 6/15/09 6:40 am
Both.
Alternate and mix up your routines.  I find that if I get used to doing either the treadmill or the elliptical, then that machine gets easy and I don't see the same results or gains.
When I alternate and change up my routines, I am able to feel and see better results.

Either way, I think you will see more results with a machine that you can adjust the incline so that it is more like a hill climb.  So if you have to chose between one or the other, I'd pick the one where I could adjust the incline.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cindy C.
on 6/18/09 7:00 am
Thanks Scott.  That makes good sense.  Maybe it will keep me from getting bored too.  Until tax season, I only used the treadmill if I didn't go to the gym.  It'll be nice to mix things up.  When I went to the gym, I used the adduction and abduction machines (spelling).  I liked working out on them.  I really pushed myself.  I hate the thought of having to pay for a gym membership just so I can use those two machines. 

I'm hoping to start hiking soon.  Right now, I need to get my body back to where it was so I feel ok to hike.  I don't want to chance an injury.

Thanks once again,

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

Most Active