First swim workout questions

Seht
on 6/15/09 1:28 am
So this is what I was supposed to do today for my first swim workout:
WU: 2x200 free 15 sr. 8x25 choice 10sr.
Main set: 8x100 on 20sr, 4x200 on 15sr Even pace throughout.
CD: 300 pull easy

Problem was I ran out of time.  I may have to switch my schedule around.
For you swimmers, could you give me an estimate on how long this should take.
I only finished the warmup, the 8x100 and one of the 200 meter swims before I had to pack up for work this morning.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/15/09 2:14 am - Fort Worth, TX
Scott,

Your total workout was 2500.... your rests total around 6 minutes... If you could swim this in an hour you would be doing REALLY well... The time it should take YOU will be determined by how fast / how hard you are pushing yourself.... My #1 recommendation to you is to try to build speed on every set .... In other words, learn to swim hard while being tired. For example, on your main set: (8 x 100) take your first interval at a medium / easy pace (prob 5 / 10 RPE) try to increase your intensity by 1/2 RPE point each interval improving each time rather than slowing. You will see this pay HUGE dividends on your swimming endurance.... Best of luck...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sherry_Berry
on 6/15/09 10:13 am - Dacula, GA
I need to PM you my phone number so you can learn the ropes of Coach Sheldon. Check his swim math BEFORE you leave for your workout! His adding skillz aren't great and you might be swimming 3500 when you should be doing 2400.

Also-feel free to text him anytime!

I can't estimate swim time workouts for you b/c we all swim at a different pace.

Also-are you used to swimming that load?

He has a template of workouts he'll choose from. As he gets to know you as an athlete better he'll tweak them to your needs.

And if he starts whining, tell him "Sherry said!"
Seht
on 6/15/09 4:16 pm
That's much more than I have been swimming.
But it's my weakest of the 3 events, so I'm happy to put more work into it.
I like swimming, I'm just not used to swimming those distances.

Scott

Sherry_Berry
on 6/16/09 12:44 am - Dacula, GA
Sounds like you need to call him.

Did he ask you what distances you were swimming?

What's your average time for 100y or 100M?
Seht
on 6/16/09 12:53 am
We talked a bit about what I thought my strengths and weaknesses were, I don't think we ever mentioned distances.
I have never looked at the clock for my time on the 100.  I struggle with my swimming, it gets me more worn out than running or biking.  I was going to the masters swim at the local pool, but it's more drills than it is individual instruction.  I may end up paying the instructor to give me some one on one.  She helped  a bit and it made a difference in my last race, but I still don't feel like I could just swim and swim.  100 yards and i'm tired, 200 and I definitely need to take a break.

Yesterday I was almost instantly tired, I feel like I'm working so hard, but not making any forward progress in the water, then about half way through the swim workout, I wasn't tired or fatigued. It was like I found a comfort zone and I felt like I could keep going.  A couple laps later I was tired again.

I will definitley talk with Sheldon after this week.  I want to try and put in a good week and see what his feedback is.  Perhaps we can adjust from there when he has some data.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Scott

Most Active