First Century ride

Mifiremedic
on 6/14/09 11:02 pm - MI
Friends,

let me start off by saying that sorry for being MIA, but work and training seemed to have gotten in the way of this great group of people.

This past weekend I did my very first Century ride. It was a great ride for a great cause. It was the MS bike ride held in Holland Michigan. I felt I needed some serious time in the saddle in perperation for the upcoming HIM in August.

Prior to yesterday my longest bike ride was just a touch over 30 miles. yes, I know, I know....

Having not ridden more than 30 miles at any one time I was quite unsure what to expect, but I was gonna give it a try. I met up with my Triathlon club for a group start, and then people would speed up or slow down as they wanted after the first rest stop.

Well I fell in line about towards the front, and quickly learned all the little things about group. After a few front end collisions with pot holes I quickly realized what the hand signals meant. For the first 15 miles or so we were going about 22mph, which is at the top of my speed output.

Shortly after the 2 rest stop I left a guy behind me pass to get up near his wife, and everybody in the group passed me like I was standing still, and I couldnt get caught back up, and into line. So they left me in their dust. I skipped the next rest stop as I was felling pretty darn good. Well about 5 miles after the 2nd stop my tri group catches me again, and this time I get in line. One of the guys in the group suggests that I go up to the big ring. Wow, what a different that was. I was able to slow down my cadence and keep up with them. It was great to be Pelleton(SP). We were passing people constantly and we were going strong. I stayed with the group until about the 65 mile mark, and then my arse was beginning to feel numb, and my legs were starting to scream.

From about mile 65 till 90 I was pretty much on my own. I did ride with another couple and socializing with them was a great mental distraction.

Lessons learned: 1) Learn what the different gearings are, and what is best for what situation 2) Dont forget my bike gloves. My pinky fingers are still slightly numb this morning 3) Invest in top notch bike shorts for the longer rides 4) Invest in a different saddle that allows for a more comfortable ride 5) Learn how much nutrients I burn per hour. 6) Get a water bottle attachemnt for my saddle. One bottle isnt enough for me..

Even though I have trouble connecting with my triathlon club, because I dont see myself the same as them. I get intimidated by them very easily, but I need to stop that because I can hang with them. I just need to put in a bit more work.

Great ride for a great cause, and I learned that I can go the distance. I ended up doing only 90 miles, because of a navigating issue, and my mind and butt couldnt comprehend riding back a few miles to make up the additonal 10 miles, let many others did.

Steelhead HIM here I come...

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Curt
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/14/09 11:42 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Solid ride bro! 90 miles is a BIG ride... Rest well... hopefully you took a nice ice bath, let your legs recup, and get some very light spinning in the next couple of days to help flush the lactic acid out of your muscles. Good job again on a big milestone! To triple your longest ride ever is pretty huge
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 6/15/09 1:41 am
Great job on the ride.

I just started riding with the local cycling club and I'm starting to learn these things too.
So far just a 35 mile ride for my longest, but I have a 50 later this month.

Good luck getting a break from all the work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 6/15/09 7:05 am - Port Huron, MI
 Wow: 30 to 90 miles!!!!!!!!  What a jump, way to go!  Good read and good ride.  Steelhead is gonna be FUN!!!
--Dan
Most Active