You people... yes, YOU people! (A Race Report)

BOS02215
on 6/13/09 4:14 pm
Way back when I first posted about signing up for a race, several of you sage nameless posters warned me that running would become addicting. You're all pushers... and I am officially hooked!

Please keep in mind that my last 5k was last Sunday at the Aflac Iron Girl.... and my thighs were sore until Wednesday... yet, last night I drove 100 miles and this morning I awoke at 5 am to torture myself again!

I think I'm still in disbelief that I can actually run 3 + miles without stopping (or 5 miles, as I did by mistake last month!) and even more mystified by the fact I'm enjoying it! I was never a runner and even though a snail wouldn't envy my pace, I am quite comfortable from start to finish. Imagine! On to the race!

Today's race was a 5k to benefit the Magic Shoe Foundation, an organization devoted to providing underprivileged kids with shoes to run. A worthy cause in my estimation.  There were several elite runners participating because the course is one of the fastest 5k's in the state. Even with a crowd, the route was wide and there was plenty of room for everyone. I liked that. Last week's race felt crowded.

I was hoping to improve my pace this morning as my previous 2 events (5 miles @ 14:29 pace and 5K @ 14:21 pace) seemed more like a walker's pace rather than a runner's pace. I started out faster than either race before. The morning was overcast and breezy so I felt refreshed even when my heart rate went up. The road was repaved in the last 6 months so it was smooth and without obstacles. By the time I hit the 1 mile mark the clock read 12:40. Yay!  By the time I got to the 2 mile marker, it was 25:26. Double yay! By the time I got to the finish line the timer clock read 40:46.  Since that was the time elapsed from the start and not the time I actually crossed the startline, I estimate my time to be 40:20, roughly a 13:28 or so pace. That's almost a full minute off my pace 3 weeks ago and last week. Yay!

Better still, I felt really good afterward. I didn't get really fatigued by early afternoon like I did last week. I'm sorry to tell you I'm already ooking around for the next race! I am signed up for a race at the end of September, but that's too far off!

Thank you to everyone who's made my addiction possible... hahaha!

mcarthur01
on 6/13/09 8:27 pm - Cumming, GA
Congrats!  especially on the improvement, well done!  i'm in the same boat, i've also contracted the competition bug.  I just posted my race report a few moments ago for my 2nd as well.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

BOS02215
on 6/14/09 3:11 am
Ok... race results are up!  Don't you love modern technology?  My time was 40:27 and my pace was 13:01. Woo! One of these days I will figure out how to correctly calculate my pace (i know, I know, there are 60 seconds in a minute!)

The best part of this last race?  I am not at all sore today. Could I actually be getting used to this? ha!
saxman007
on 6/14/09 3:19 am - Port Huron, MI
Now if somebody comes by on race day and tries to sell you some 'enhancement' powder from a rusty car DON'T DO IT!!!!  Everything else about races, it's a great addiction isn't it:)
Great job on the improvement in time and I think most of us find some of our best runs is when we get a little lost and add some extra distance.
Good report and keep on racing, the sky's the limit
--Dan
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/14/09 4:24 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great job! Congrats on the improvement and I look forward to hearing more about your races....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active