Who swims with earplugs?

Darrell H.
on 6/13/09 7:15 am - Sinton, TX
I have contemplated getting earplugs. Do they help? I was in the pool all summer when I was young and never used them. If you use them, is there a particular brand or style that you would reccomend? Thanks.

Darrell
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
saxman007
on 6/13/09 11:12 am - Port Huron, MI
I haven't needed them and I've been swimming in some COLD water (around 53* or so).  For the most part I thought people wore earplugs to help in cold water.  Are you experiencing other problems?  I'll grant you that your definition of cold water is probably my definition of nice and toasty:)
Darrell H.
on 6/13/09 11:38 am - Sinton, TX
I havent experienced any problems yet, but I have not done any open water swims yet. I also read somewhere that they help with balance or something like that.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
MacMadame
on 6/13/09 3:14 pm - Northern, CA
I wear them on OWS if the temp is below 60. Otherwise, I lurch like a drunkard when I come out of the water!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/14/09 4:21 am - Fort Worth, TX
Some people are prone to "Swimmer's Ear" which is where water gets trapped in the ear drum and can cause equalibrium problems. I, fortunately have never needed ear plugs and have never used them OWS or pool swims alike. I have a friend who needs ear plugs when he goes on a slip-n-slide. If you need em, use em, if you don't need em, more power to ya... (But they are chic magnets"  :)
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 6/14/09 9:27 am - Port Huron, MI
On June 14, 2009 at 11:21 AM Pacific Time, DANCBJAMMIN wrote:
Some people are prone to "Swimmer's Ear" which is where water gets trapped in the ear drum and can cause equalibrium problems. I, fortunately have never needed ear plugs and have never used them OWS or pool swims alike. I have a friend who needs ear plugs when he goes on a slip-n-slide. If you need em, use em, if you don't need em, more power to ya... (But they are chic magnets"  :)
 Chic magnets, hmmm maybe I'll be trying them in 2 weeks
kypdurran
on 6/15/09 6:11 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Dan I use the big gel thingie ones you can get at any local drugstore.   I don't have swimmers ear or get any other infections from swimming.   I use earplugs because they help me maintain my equilibrium when I get OUT of the water.   This is especially true in colder water.   I find that when I don't wear my plugs I am a little dizzy coming out of the water.
Most Active