If I ever learn to ride in wind, I might be alright

Darrell H.
on 6/14/09 12:30 am - Sinton, TX
Had my largest brick workout to date. (I am training using the basic plan in Joe Friel's Your First Triathlon). It called for a 50 minute bike ride folllowed by a 20 minute run. That dang wind was all over the place. A lot of the time it wasnt to bad as it was steady at probably 10-15 mph, but a few times there were hard gusts. The weatherman said gusts of up to 22mph. Today was my first day to really work the big ring hard. Man was it tough at times. My total time (whi*****ludes a time when I had to stop because the chain would not get completely on the large ring) was 51:37 for 12.53 miles for an avg of 14.6 mph. I did hit over 24 mph a couple of times, but I am sure there were pretty hard gusts behind that push. The run wasnt all that great, but I got through it. I took a 1:48 transition as I racked my bike, took off the helmet, chugged some gatorade, and then walked about 50 meters to the track. I ran 2 miles in 20:39.03 for an avg pace of 10:19. Back to the wind. How do you guys get through it? I might surprise myself at the tri on the 28th if I get to ride in a race with little wind.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/14/09 4:39 am - Fort Worth, TX
Darrell,

You will be VERY suprised at how strong you will be without wind. We are prone to brutal wind here in Texas so all we can do is deal with it, hope race day is still, and give our best effort. I hate wind too!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active