Race Report, my 2nd 5K

mcarthur01
on 6/13/09 8:26 pm - Cumming, GA
Yesterday morning I ran in my 2nd ever 5K in Roswell, GA called "Just Run".  It was the first time this group put on a race, but was well managed in terms of friendly staff, good setup with facilities/snacks/water and crowd, with one big exception.  The DOT screwed the pooch and marked the course short.  It was an out and back course that started at the top of a steep hill, then leveled off down by the Chattahoochie River, it was a beautiful run.  As I wear a Garmin watch, i noticed right away that the turn-around point was only 1.2 miles, i thought, ok this must not be a straight out and back.  But no, as i worked my way back to the start/finish line it was 2.4 miles.  I had come to run a 5K and wasn't really interested in where i placed, so i just turned around at the chute and doubled back on the course for the remaining 0.7 miles to complete the 5K.  My average pace was good (for me) at 8:40 and I finished my run in 26:55 (Spilts of:  8:28, 8:43, 8:51) more info here:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7088006 which is an improvement of over a minute from my first 5K a couple of weeks ago.  I attribute the improvement mostly to the course, but some to increased training runs.

Take care,

Bill
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

BOS02215
on 6/14/09 3:07 am
Congrats!  That's a great improvement. How do you like the Garmin Watch?
mcarthur01
on 6/15/09 8:14 am - Cumming, GA
LOVE the watch... although as a manic gatherer of information, having all that data at my fingertips can be counterproductive at times, i've had to force myself not to look at my pace "until i pass that tree" etc. and resist the incredible urge to micromanage my runs...

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/14/09 4:26 am - Fort Worth, TX
Way to go Bill.... NIce splits and solid race! Keep up the great work!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 6/14/09 9:29 am - Port Huron, MI
 Nice splits and good race!  Way to go on completing the 5K -- anybody else out there doing that with you?
mcarthur01
on 6/15/09 8:15 am - Cumming, GA
not really, i guess i'm the only really anal one!  i was actually pissed, i wanted to run a real 5K, so i just turned around and did it...

Hawgman
on 6/14/09 11:15 pm - TX
Way to go Bill.  Good job on finishing the 5K.
Most Active