When do you pull out of a race?

Jce3g
on 6/13/09 2:51 am, edited 6/13/09 11:24 am - MI
 Ok I am kind of kicking myself today.  I had planned to ride a metric century at the TCBA 100,000 meter ride here in Michigan.  Woke up this morning it was 50's which I do not mind riding in, but also raining.  All week I just was not feeling this event as it seems running has taken more priority over cycling lately.  So i talked myself out of it because of the rain.  I have raced in worst conditions and had a blast (my last tri was in colder weather and rain)  Well just as you might guess no sooner that it passed the point of no return to go to the race (I was not pre-registered) all the storms on the Doppler vanish.  Moral of the story, establish a race plan for the season with "A" races that will happen no matter what, then establish training schedule to prepare for "A" races, third sign up for "B" races that will compliment training for "A" races.  I never classified how important this race was to me neither did I train much for it, so when push came to shove I was easily persuaded to drop out.  Lesson learned "train with purpose"

Jason

MUSTREAD

levittown_loser
on 6/13/09 7:21 am - Levittown, PA
Great message Jason!

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

saxman007
on 6/13/09 11:21 am - Port Huron, MI
 Last fall I signed up for the Blue Water Bramble in October -- well I did a 20-mile run on Thursday and decided to not push if for the marathon in a couple of weeks.  I had decided on Friday I wasn't going to make it and told the people I registered with.  One of the guys decided that morning that he wasn't going to do it -- same thing low 50's and rain, not hard but still coming down.  The group that went was plagued by flat tires and I guess at least 2 or 3 of them were in the process of developing hypothermea.  
Moral of the story: if your gut is telling you it isn't an A race and the weather may lead to problems with your A race -- lesson to the gut and don't feel bad.
Just thought you might feel better reading what could've happened had it not been a beautiful day for a ride
--Dan
Oh yeah, I have heard the Bramble is a nice ride and is unique in that it has a US/Canada option where you take the fairy from St. Clair, MI to St. Clair, ON -- let me know if you ever think of doing that one

Jce3g
on 6/13/09 11:29 am - MI
 Dan whats the info on the Bramble, btw I spent  a couple of summers in PH and lived for a couple years in Algonac and one year on Harsens Island.  One of the most beautiful places in the country.  Only thing I regret is that was when I was over 450, Oh how much fun I would have there now.  I do make it to PH every so often, I am about 1:45 hours away now.  I am sure we will run into each other at a race sometime.

Jason

MUSTREAD

MacMadame
on 6/13/09 3:15 pm - Northern, CA
My first race was a 5k and I was really looking forward to it. Well, it started raining the day before. I decided to do it anyway and the rain stopped about 10 min. before the race started and didn't start up again until I finished running. So I was happy.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active