Training for my first sprint triathlon - SheRox Philly Aug 2

playwithzoe
on 6/11/09 3:43 am
MacMadame inspired me, a friend and I signed up last Friday.  We only have 8 weeks to train but I've been working out and running a lot for the past 4 1/2 months so I think I can get through it.  It is an all women tri sherox.o3worlddev.com/trunk/Philadelphia-PA-1162.html and all levels and is suppose to be very supportive.  My goal is to fini**** and have fun, then I'm going to do a a super sprint tri www.piranha-sports.com/Race49.aspx in mid September and take it from there.

Any words of advice, let me know!

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

jcheryld
on 6/11/09 11:53 am
Awesome! You can do it! A friend of mine just told me about sprint triatholons and I am very interested in starting the training for one of my local ones myself! I need a bike though. Where did you get yours?
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

playwithzoe
on 6/11/09 2:08 pm
oh I bought my bike years ago when I lived in San Francisco, it's a hybrid bike built for both road and off road.  Not perfect for a tri but really for your first any old bike will do, just borrow one or get a used one.

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 6/11/09 4:58 pm - Northern, CA
I got my bike at the local bike store. Because I had no bike after my son borrowed my mountain bike and then got it stolen from the BART station!

But, if you want to save money, you can get a used one. There are some killer deals out there. Just be sure you know what your frame size is so you can get a bike that fits you.

All women tris are a lot of fun, btw.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

levittown_loser
on 6/11/09 10:44 pm - Levittown, PA
Awesome!  Best of luck on the race.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

jcheryld
on 6/11/09 10:50 pm

I would love to hear what your training plan has looked like! We have the Danskin Tri coming up http://www.danskinwomenstri.com/Seattle.htm here in August and I'm wondering how long it will take me to work up to riding 12 miles in 1 setting? I'm already running so I'm less worried about that and the swimming. Any feedback would be great!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

playwithzoe
on 6/11/09 11:32 pm
I think if you are committed to training at least 4 hours a week starting now you should be able to do it.  Do you have a space to swim?  And of course you'll need to get your bike asap.  Mine is August 2nd, and I started training last week so I only have 8 weeks to train.   Seattle is August 16th so you'll have the same even a little more.  Now I've been running a lot and weight training for the past 4 months but if you have running down and are confident in your swimming, the biking is the easiest part in my opinion.  12 miles really isn't that long a ride.  The hard part is doing them all back to back.

When you sign up for the Tri they give you a 12 week training program via active.com.  I also paid extra to get a 9 week training program since that was the more the amount of time I had to train but I think that was stupid of me.  You can just modify the 12 week.   They have some weight training built into the 12 week, don't worry so much about that and just work on the swim/bike/running - add a few extra sessions of those instead of the weight training.

If you can find a group of women who are training together for this that will help a great deal as well.  Go for it!  We can check in an motivate each other.

jcheryld
on 6/12/09 1:39 pm
That would be so awesome! I am going to see if I can recruit a friend to do it with me. I have an olympic size pool at my gym so I can train for swimming. I'm planning to shop for a bike in the next few days, too! If I can handle a long distance ride in 1 sitting without feeling wiped, then I'm game to tackle the task! I'll keep ya posted & I'd love to stay in touch so we can motivate eachother!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

MacMadame
on 6/12/09 2:57 pm - Northern, CA
Yeah, more new recruits!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kypdurran
on 6/11/09 11:32 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Best advice I can give you is to not worry about who's in front of your or behind you on the course.   Cross that finish line, beat the course, pat yourself on the back and call yourself a TRIATHLETE.    Most importantly, have fun!

Best of luck!

Chad

Most Active