Bike suggestions?

kikuri
on 6/10/09 9:55 am

To all the bikers out there :)

Haven't ridden a bike since I was ~13 and was wondering what I should consider looking for (brand, type, etc)? I've been thinking of getting one to ride around the various neighborhoods here as a start. A friend has told me that people are "sized" for bikes when they go to bike stores now? Never heard of this before.

Thanks to anyone *****sponds. :)

[5'2": 35lbs lost pre-op. SW: 245 GW: 115 CW: 130.0]

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/10/09 10:36 am - Fort Worth, TX
You need to determine what kind of riding you will want to do. There are cruisers, mountain bikes, road bikes, triathlon bikes, unicycles, recumbent bikes, etc.... If you are just looking to cruise around some neighborhoods and not do anything competitively, I would recommend a hybrid or mountain bike. If you are looking to get into longer rides and put in some distance on your rides, I recommend a road bike.

All these different types of bikes have different geometry, made from different materials and can have a wide range of prices. I would recommend the following:
1) Determine what kind of riding you want to do
2) Determine your budget
3) Go to a local bike shop to be properly fitted for a bike
4) Determine if you want to buy used or new
5) Have loads of fun!!!

I love cycling and instantly fell in love with it the 1st time I went into a spin class. Good luck, and happy trails...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kikuri
on 6/10/09 10:47 am
Thanks so much for the tips. I will probably do a road bike because I want to try and progress with it. How does one "fit" you for a bike, if I may ask?

DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/10/09 11:01 am - Fort Worth, TX
There are several factors.... Overall height, length of your legs, length of torso, length of arms. You need to be fitted so they can measure all of these things so they will know what size bike you need. Also, by being properly fitted, it will help you to peddle efficiently and allow you to maximize your power output by proper peddle strokes. You will be much more comfortable, more relaxed, more efficient, and will not have soreness in your knees and other parts that come as a result of improper fitting. I think a road bike is an awesome choice! BEst of luck....

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 6/11/09 2:50 am
If you purchase from a local bike shop instead of the internet, wal-mart, any other non specific bike shop, most of the bike shops will include a fitting/adjustment as part of the purchase.  At least all of the local shops in my area do.  They can adjust the seat hight for you, the angle of the handlebars, etc.
For example when first starting out it may not be comfortable for you to be leaning all the way down in an aero position, the step that supports the handlebars come in different angles, allowing you to ride more upright, The seat may not be comfortable in it's current position, you may not get the proper extension on your legs, or you may get too much.

One of my best friends just bought a new bike and they actually swapped out all of those piece at no charge when he bought the bike.  They absolutely catered to him and his bike configuration.
As long as the parts he was swapping weren't a cost upgrade, they gladly swapped the parts for equal or less value items in an effort to make the bike more comfortable for him.

Remember the bike purchase doesn't end with the bike though.
Things I would consider a must
Helmet
Sunglasses or eye protection.  Getting a bug in the eye is no fun and can cause an accident.
Gloves to protect your hands when you fall.
Repair kit (spare tubes, inflation device, tools to change the tire, something to carry it all in.)
Not a lot of fun to be 30 miles away from home with a flat and no way to change or repair it.

If you get hooked, you will find yourself buying or wanting
cycling clothes, shoes, new pedals (some bikes won't come with pedals and will be an extra expense right off the bat)
Cage or two to hold water bottles & the bottles for those long rides, or a camelback.
A good light for night riding or early morning rides.

But you know what, it's absolutely worth every penny.  I love riding and have started riding with the local cycling club.  I now ride to work 3-4 times a week as well.

Check and see if you have a local riding club.  Mine does classes on safety, maintenance, tour riding etc.  We have several group rides scheduled every week, and they have a variety of levels, from beginning riders to very competative riders.  Everyone is friendly and helpful.  It is an encouraging atmosphere for new riders.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new bike

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kikuri
on 6/11/09 2:55 am
Thanks so much for the advice, Scott. I didn't even consider any purchases beyond the bike and a helmet. Going to start checking out the local bike shops after my impending move. :)

playwithzoe
on 6/11/09 3:07 am
Hey there!  I just signed up for a sprint triathon and got my bike out of my basement - I have't riden in over 6 years (my bike is like 8 years old).  I pick it up today from our local bike specialty shop where it is getting a full tune up.  My bike is a cross over bike, it has road wheels on it but I could put more nubby wheels on if I wanted to do some off road.  I suspect if I get really into doing triathlons especially if I move up to olympic or half tris, I will want a tri bike.  But for now and for a while my current bike will do just fine.

Scott has good advice - go to a specialty bike shop, they really know what they are talking about and it's fun and motivating.  If you feel like they are giving you a hard sell and not listening find another (I've never had that experience usually the people are very cool).  I also highly recommend getting some bike shorts and perhaps even a gel seat.  My butt is killing me.

Good luck and have fun!  Oh I also wanted to tell you to check out 2 workout sites since you are a home gym gal.  I am loving these workouts (the max workout is definetly based on crossfit training).

TRX:  www.fitnessanywhere.com/  and crossfit:  www.crossfit.com/

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

kikuri
on 6/11/09 4:27 am
Thanks for the info, Zoe :) I actually called a relative who was holding my bike from oh-so-many-years-ago to see if he still had it, but he sold it last year (not that I blame him). I will definitely check those two sites out today. Do you have that TRX suspension thing at home, btw? Certainly looks interesting.

playwithzoe
on 6/11/09 5:00 am
I don't have my own TRX ...yet...but they use them at my gym in a kick butt class that combines intervals of TRX resistance training with boot-camp/crossfit type of drills.  Right now I like going to the gym but if I start to travel more or move away from my gym I will definitely get one.  They have a ton of videos, a youtube channel, that teach you how to use it.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Most Active