Calories burned????

Seht
on 6/8/09 7:11 am
So do you think the calorie consumption totals are accurate from the devices on the market.

My question comes from a huge disparity between devices.
I did a 3 hour 35 mile ride this weekend.  We were just cruising, some minor hills, had to stand up to pedal up a couple, but most of them were easily done sitting down.  We averaged 13 mph.  The Garmin said it was over 2200 calories burned.  The bike computer said it was closer to 1000, and
Livestron & The Daily Plate say almost 2900 calories

Today on my 3 mile run I did 12 minute miles.  The garmin says 419 calories, Livestron & The daily plate say 574 calories burned.

I usually take the lowest amount of the options available, to me for my charting purposes, but I was just wondering what you guys used and if anyone had any concrete data on which one was more accurate.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 6/8/09 2:00 pm - Northern, CA
The most accurate formulas are the ones that uses your heart rate. However, even the best HRM can be off by as much as 10%.

But the online formulas are basically a stab in the dark. They use your age, height and weight (or sometimes just one or two of those) to come up with some sort of average which may or may not have anything to do with your real numbers.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

sheepla
on 6/9/09 5:22 am
I agree. I'd go with the Garmin every time provided it is using a HRM strap.

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

levittown_loser
on 6/9/09 8:10 am - Levittown, PA
I agree.   Use something taking the heart rate into consideration. 

Your first example the bike computer does seem REALLY low for that long of a workout though. 

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Jupiter6
on 6/9/09 8:57 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I've been using the GoWear Fit device-- it calibrates based on your individual metabolism, which is nice.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active