The Best Dam Race Report

Hawgman
on 6/8/09 12:58 am - TX
Not being ugly but I ran the Best Dam Race in Texas Saturday morning.

It is a 5K over the Lake Waco dam.  I have been looking forward to this race to see if I can improve on the 37 minute race I ran in College Station for my first race ever.

The weather was great.  It was about 70 degrees with a light breeze from the south.  I got there about 7:00.  The race was scheduled to start at 8:00.  I warmed up with a slow mile over the first part of the course and some stretching.  They had a 1K fun run at 7:30 for the little tykes.  That is always a blast! 

The starting area and the whole course was narrow, about 18 feet across. So I got to the start line about 15 minutes early to get a good spot and get ready.  There were probable betwee 300 and 400 runners there.   The race started at exactly at 8:00A.  I was probably three or four people back from the start line.  It didn't take long to get everyting sorted out and we were running free and easy within a quarter mile. 

I wanted my pace to be around 9:00 minutes or so.  When we passed the 1M my watch said 8:22.20.  Oh my goodnes.  I thought I was going fall out, but I felt pretty good so I kept on going.  We got on the dam itself and of course it is very flat and the lake was beautiful.  The turnaround/drink station came up and I didn't get anything to drink, because I figured we would be done in just a little bit.  Ran the second split in 8:43.69.  Still felt fine, just winded but nothing was falling apart at that point.  Between mile two and three we were running with the wind so it felt a lot hotter than it really was.

I felt like I was laboring but ran the third mile in 8:31.51 and went as fast as I could the last few yards.  I got passed but at that point couldn't do a thing about it and just finished as strongly as I could.  My finish time was 26:30.52.  I took 11 minutes off of my previous 5K time and I was gassed.  After catching my breath, I jogged about a mile so I wouldn't be incredibly sore when I got home. 

It was a lot of fun and I was very proud of myself!!

Darrell
Darrell H.
on 6/8/09 1:53 am - Sinton, TX
congratulations. sounds like a great race.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 6/8/09 2:34 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great job! That's a pretty good pace my friend... You are getting stronger for sure!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mcarthur01
on 6/8/09 2:51 am - Cumming, GA
congrats... that is a helluva improvement from one race to the next, great work!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

PamelaDV
on 6/8/09 3:06 am - Apex, NC
That is the best dam race report!  :)  Congrats on that huge improvement! 

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

kypdurran
on 6/8/09 4:13 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Great job Darrell!   That's a very strong showing.

Chad

Seht
on 6/8/09 7:16 am
Wow, what a great job!

Congrats on your success.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 6/8/09 9:03 am
Darrell,  that's an amazing improvement in your pace since your first race.  Nice job!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

levittown_loser
on 6/9/09 8:14 am - Levittown, PA
BRAVO Darrell!!   Awesome job cutting your time and meeting your goal.   

Cheers!

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Most Active