5K Race Report!! Aflaaaaaack!

BOS02215
on 6/7/09 10:28 am

The race was sponsored by Aflac and, as you guessed it, the Aflac Duck (or is it a goose? Anyone? Bueller?) was everywhere, incudling all the swag.

The good news was that this was actually a 5k and not 5 MILES like the race I did two weeks ago. The bad news is that I finished in 43:03 only marginally improving my pace to 14:21 from 14:29 in the 5 mile race.  I felt great and on pace in this run, but I felt like I was breathing harder. I thought the warmer weather might have played a role in that. To make things worse, the final mile was run over a horse racing track where they use the artificial dirt. It was slooooooow. I felt so sluggish. I have a whole new appreciation for thoroughbreads, however.

Like last time, I ran the entire way. That, to me, is the biggest accomplishment. I'm not sure if this is WLS related, but I never get stitches in my sides anymore. Has anyone else noticed the same thing from pre-op to post with regard to running?

One final note:   I signed up for another 5k for next Saturday morning. It benefits underprivileged children and takes place in my hometown about 100 miles away. My family no longer lives there, but back in the day my eldest brother was a standout track and cross country star at the school where the race is to be held. In fact, he still holds 3 school records after 30 years. This is the part where I should mention I was the only fat member of my family!! I lost my brother 6 years ago to a rare disease and I plan to honor his memory by participating in a race on the very roads he ran every day for four years with a picture of him running on those roads ironed onto the back of my shirt. I can only hope that one day my very best time can come remotely close to one of his very worst running times... like when he had a broken collarbone and shin splints... hahaha

Hawgman
on 6/8/09 12:26 am - TX
Congratulations!!  Running on dirt and improved your pace.  I call that a victory.

Thanks for the great race report and keep working your program.

Darrell
PamelaDV
on 6/8/09 3:03 am - Apex, NC

Great race report!  Great run!  I'm still excited when I don't walk, too.  :)

I also don't get stitches anymore either!

Good luck with your next 5K - it sounds like it will be very memorable.

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

Most Active