Run the Quay 5K Race Report

PamelaDV
on 6/6/09 2:36 am - Apex, NC
So this was just my second 5K.  My first one was only 2 weeks ago.

It was great weather for a run - 66 when we got there - a little overcast at the start.

This is a small town run - not any big deal - just the 5th year they have put it on, but there were a lot of runners!  Some report 600 or so - last year there was only 350.  So great turn out - great vibe.  I felt much better about my second run - was really nervous and anxious about my first.

The course was good - a few good hills - nothing like my last race.  My buddy from work ran this one with me, too.  She is such a good sport to run with me - I know she can run much faster - but she is such a great cheerleader to me during the race.  I love her to death.

At the first mile mark there was a guy calling out times.  I forgot I had my HRM on and I hadn't looked at it - when he called out 12 minutes I was like NO WAY!  My pace at my last 5K was almost 15 minutes. 

The hills didn't really start until after that first mile - so we hammered through a couple small but steep ones.  My body hit a wall and I really wanted to stop, but with the help of my buddy, Jen, I got through it and got my second wind.

My husband and my kids were almost at the 2 mile mark - we ran past my church and they went there and were waiting for us to come by there.  That was fun - my girls came out and ran a little bit of the way with us.

About mile 2 I started feeling like I had to go to the bathroom.  :(  I am so mad about that.  I had to slow down a little to kind of get things under control.  I could have been going faster.

The last hill before the end wasn't super steep, but it was really long.  So getting to the top of it and powering around the corner I looked at my watch.  I couldn't believe the time!  I was going to come in at 40 minutes!  Just 2 weeks ago I came in at 45 minutes!  That gave me the extra push I needed and we really ran to the end.  Crossing at the end and seeing the timer saying 40 minutes ... I just couldn't believe it!  5 minutes off my time in 2 weeks!  I was ecstatic! 

And then I found the very closest port-a-jon.  :)  That made me even happier.

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

levittown_loser
on 6/6/09 3:03 am - Levittown, PA
Congrats on your second race Pam!

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Darrell H.
on 6/6/09 7:29 am - Sinton, TX
Great Job. Way to improve and have fun doing it!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
MacMadame
on 6/6/09 2:42 pm - Northern, CA
Congrats!

(And happy to see I'm not the only one who rushes to the port-a-potty immediately after a race. )

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Hawgman
on 6/8/09 12:29 am - TX
Way to go, Pam.  Keep up the good work!

Darrell
Fionna
on 6/8/09 3:04 am - NC
Cool for you! I am nowhere near ready to run outside but I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences. Keep up the great work! Look forward to hearing about your next race!

If I am gonna eat   like a fat girl, then I gotta workout   like a skinny girl!

Valerie

Cassie W.
on 6/8/09 10:00 am
2 5Ks in 2 weeks. . . . I think you've got the bug!  Congratulations!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active