I know what I need to do....why don't I do it??????

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/09 7:05 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
OK, I've lost a ton of weight and I know the daily exercise I've done has played a MAJOR part in my success.  So, WHY am I struggling doing it lately? 

I got a BAD cold/flu almost 2 weeks ago and am truly just starting to feel better (I"m not coughing my brains out all day and night anymore).  I should be able to get on the treadmill tomorrow morning but I have little motivation to do so.  I'll have to really push myself to do it in the morning.

I've been exercising regularly, 6 days a week for more than 18 months....WHY do I still have to push myself so hard to get moving most days.  While doing my walk/run in the morning I often find myself counting the mins as if I'm being tortured.  Will I ever learn to like it???

In my head I know I MUST exercise 6 days a week to maintain my 150 lb weight loss.......now I just need my body to move in sync with my mind.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cassie W.
on 6/4/09 8:39 am
If you've been following the same routine for 18 months, you may need something new to get you excited about working out again. Some of the things that help me stay motivated:
- Running with other people for the social benefits and peer pressure
- Always having a race on my calendar so my training has purpose
- Mixing up my training. Even if I'm concentrated on running, I incorporate long runs, short speed sessions, hill repeats, etc. for variety.
- Adding new challenges.  I'm learning how to swim so I can do a triathlon.

There are so many great ways to exercise.. . Zumba, kick-boxing, yoga, spinning, etc.  Sample a few so you have options when boredom sets in.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/09 10:26 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Cassie,
Thanks for the good ideas.

See the thing is I NEVER get excited about exercise.....I do it because I know I have to.
I wish I could enjoy it and get excited about it.

I recently switched my weight lifting program to Pilates....it's ok but again, I"m not excited.

I enjoy hitting new milestones (running faster or longer or lifting higher amt of weights, etc) but all in all I just do not enjoy exercise. 

I often wonder what it is that gets folks so excited about exercise?????

Thanks again!
Ruth

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/09 1:38 pm, edited 6/4/09 1:38 pm - Maumelle, AR
Do you always run on a treadmill?  I recently used one after running outside exclusively, and it was a truly tedious experience in comparison.  If the weather is nice where you live, try going outside if you can!  And ditto the recommendations on mixing things up and setting goals; I've only been at it for a fraction of the time you have, but I've always got a race to look forward to or some training program I've enmeshed myself in. :-)

Edited to add that I can't say I enjoy exercise the majority of the time I'm doing it, either.  I'll catch a fleeting moment here and there where I feel a bit exhilarated, but it's not until I'm done that I feel good about it, just knowing that I did it and that I'm tired because of something I did to be healthier.
(deactivated member)
on 6/5/09 4:10 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi
I know what you mean about the treadmill being tedious....I do enjoy my morning walk much more when it's outside.  Whenever the weather allows I do walk/run outdoors.  I have to get up VERY early to walk outside because it's gotten very warm here (I'm in Florida).

I think I just may try it again tomorrow morning....thanks for the encouragement!
MacMadame
on 6/5/09 11:35 am - Northern, CA
My motto is, if you don't like your exercise routine, get a new one!

Exercise doesn't have to be walking on a treadmill or going to the gym. (Though it can be if that's what yo love.) But, if you don't, there are plenty of other possibilities -- riding your bike in the park, going swimming, taking a dance class, ice skating, etc.

Once you find something you love, it will become part of your life and you'll miss it when you don't do it just like any other interest in your life.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/09 12:55 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I like bike riding!
I'm going to try and get up very early in the morning and either do my walk outside or ride my bike.

Thanks for the encouragement.
MacMadame
on 6/5/09 1:18 pm - Northern, CA
Cool! Biking is my favorite. In case that wasn't obvious from my avatar.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active