Need Help/ Exercise & Getting Sick

ilyssajane
on 5/31/09 10:52 pm - Forest Hills, NY
Hi All,   Ok this is an odd subject and one I never thought I would share with anyone, but the hubbie insisted I post about this and see if anyone else has this issue.    Facts: Had surgery (Gastric Bypass) 4 years ago Lost and have kept off 100lbs Started working out about a year after surgery Have not been working out on a regular basis for the last year   Issue: A) I work out in the morning b/c I need to exercise on an empty stomach or I cramp (this was even before GB) B) I don't drink while working out b/c I cramp C) I drink a lot of water after I work out D) Then I walk home (gym is 1 block away) and have diarrhea and several bouts of it for about an hour   Does anyone else get this?   HELP!   Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Ilyssa
RNY 6/22/05 = 268 * TT 2/22/07 = 164 * Arm Lift 1/16/09 = 170
Happy in life and that is all that matters!!!!

Seht
on 6/1/09 12:00 am
Water intake should be a before, during and after process.  Here is a decent article on the subject.
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=1780
When i get up in the morning prior to working out, I drink a bottle of water, then head off to the gym.  I will sip another bottle of water or protien/electrolyte mix during my workout.
I know you said you cramp if you drink while working out, but is that with any amount or are  you chugging it?
You should also make sure you are well hydrated before you start your workout.

Good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Judi J.
on 6/1/09 5:04 am - MN
I've cramped a couple of times while swimming and my swim teacher had me start bringing bananas. Bananas are "supposed" to do the opposite of diarrhea. have you tried it?
MacMadame
on 6/1/09 8:33 am, edited 6/1/09 8:35 am - Northern, CA
I have to be careful about what I consume during running but I am okay eating stuff before and after running and during other workouts like swimming and biking.

I would try experimenting with what you can and can't consume and the quantities so you learn your limits. I know I can drink sports drinks while running and water but if I drink too much, too soon, I cramp up.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Vicki PNW
on 6/1/09 8:50 am
Looks like your potassium levels should be checked.  Have you had any bloodwork done lately?

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active