LBL Recovery and Tri Training

jon1970
on 5/29/09 2:42 pm
I had a LBL on May 11th and I am getting really anxious to get back into training. I would appreciate if anyone could share there experience with LBL and getting back into the swing of things.

I had signed up for the Steelhead HIM in August but I am very sure that I am going to have to take a medical deferement until next season on it.

I am just trying to get ideas on what I might be capable of doing race wise for the year.

Thanks
Jon
Sherry_Berry
on 5/29/09 5:33 pm - Dacula, GA
I remember running the peachtree roadrace 10k after my LBL and thigh lift. It was 6 weeks after.

Anyhoo-I wore so many compression garments. I figured out running was too hard on the body, so I took up biking.

I think you should do what's tolerated and not push too hard. Start w/running/walking intervals WITH good compression. Don't go hard or fast. Now is NOT the time for speedwork!

Biking treated me really well. I don't know if you have a road or tri bike, but if you have an incision all the way around, you may have difficulty sitting in aero for a while.

Swimming is probably really good once you get clearance.

I'm one to overdo it after surgery and end up with infection. Take it easy.

Good luck!
saxman007
on 5/30/09 12:33 am - Port Huron, MI
 Well my experience was just about the complete opposite of Sherry's.  I still had tubes in 6 weeks out.  I was really frustrated during my recovery and it took awhile, but things are all good now.  Best advice -- follow your doctors orders. Tell them your goals/wants and make a informed joint decision.  If you do make it out to Steelhead make sure to let me know -- it'll be my first HIM.  If you can't race it maybe do the medical deferement and volunteer the event -- keep you motivated to keep going for next year.
I'm doing Muskoka in September, perhaps those extra 6 weeks will allow you enough healing time.
Either way, good luck with the recovery!
--Dan
jon1970
on 5/30/09 2:21 am
I tend to rush things myself. After my bypass I had a tube in my stomach for tube feeding because of a stricture that kept rupturing when the dialated it. I found a waterproof bandage that I could swim with the tube in.

The one thing that is frustrating is that I have a spot on my back where the incision is slightly seperated. The DR has me putting silver cream on it twice a day and assures me everything will be fine. I am sure that will affect my biking and delay getting back  in the water.

Thanks for the encouragement. I really want to get back out there. I contemplated going out with the run club this morning and walking with them. Since most of these people did not know me before I am not sure I want to explain the LBL to them. I guess I will just be patient and see how things progress.

Thanks,
Jon
panhead58fl
on 6/1/09 4:52 am - Barboursville, WV
I talked to a surgeon that spoke at our support group meeting and he said to have the best result after LBL basically nothing for the first six weeks and then only walking after that. He told me I should plan on six months for full recovery! Besides not having the money I am not prepared to cut back or not run for six weeks let alone six months.

pan head
Most Active