Are carbs ok?

shoop727
on 5/31/09 1:17 am - CA
I'm confused. I thought that we RnY'ers are supposed to eat mostly protein for the rest of our lives. Won't increasing carbs make us have reactive hypoglycemia issues like dumping? Once you become an athlete, do you no longer follow the post surgery way of life? I'm trying to get into running, but everything I'm reading about sports nutrtion seems to contradict what my wls nutritionist said.

I'm 3.5 years out. Starting to have issues of regain, and am wondering if it's the increase in carb consumption (calories) and whether I should go back to the diet I was on immediately after surgery?
DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/31/09 3:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
Everyone needs carbs who worksout. Endurance athletes need WAY more carbs than the 2-3 days a week gym goers. When you run longer distances or do Triathlons that are Olympic dstance or longer, you will need to take in carbohydrates to keep a relatively high level of Glycogen in your body. ( Glycogen is the bodies stored version of sugar). Your body uses Glycogen to help fuel the body, when Glycogen stores are depleted, you hit what is called "The Wall" where no matter what you do, your body will not respond. It is for this reason that many endurance athletes begin taking in Gels, Gu's, Sports Drinks, etc. after a race begins in an attempt to keep a high level of Glycogen in the body. Also, it is extremely important after a workout to eat Carbs within 15 minutes of completing the workout, to top off the Glycogen once again and have enough fuel for your next workout. As you increase in endurance and strength, your body will need more carbs, but will burn it fast as your internal engine (Metabolism) gets better conditioned by building a solid base. Your WLS Nut is not used to working with athletes probably... I find that most bariatric nuts are used to dealing with people who barely walk 10 minutes a day 3 x per week, not someone who is an excercising maniac! Anyways, off my soapbox... One last thought that you proably heard pre and post op... In order for you to maintain a healthy weight  and have WLS success that will last a lifetime, you HAVE to change your habits and thinking about food and excercise for the rest of your life. Make excercise a part of who you are and you will find a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from your achievements. Anything is possible!!!

Dan www.trimywill.com   www.swimfromobesity.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 5/31/09 4:12 pm - Northern, CA
I find I have to have more carbs during and just after a workout. But I didn't do well with all carb products. Then I discovered they make some with some protein in it that are for endurance activities of over 2 hours. I used those all the time and they work much better for me.

I am trying to eat like a bariatric patient for meals and planned snacks and like an endurance athlete when I'm actually "enduring." I have figured out that I burn up a minimum of 300 calories per hour doing most workouts so I tried to fuel at that level while I'm going it. I consume mostly slider foods and sports drinks during this time because I have to get the food into me as fast as possible.

Then I go back to typical bariatric eating for the next meal.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

shoop727
on 5/31/09 10:33 pm - CA
Thank you both for your replies. It gives me hope to know that there are others out there who are making a go of it and thriving!
Most Active