RNY and carb gels -- dumping?

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 12:01 pm
 I just posted this on the RNY board not knowing this was here. With all the marathons posts I'm seeing, I'm hoping one of you can help me!

I was originally planning on getting banding but my surgeon is recommending against it due to some esophogeal problems that I have. I would prefer to get the sleeve but my insurance does not cover that surgery so I am now considering RNY.

One of my primary goals is to get back into running. It was something I truly enjoyed 100 lbs ago. I used to do carb gels on my long runs. It just occurred to me that a gel could potentially cause dumping and, from what I'm reading, dumping seems to be a bit unpredictable. 

Has anyone used carb gels successfully after RNY without dumping? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Cassie W.
on 5/29/09 7:45 pm
I can tolerate the sports beans and clif bloks because I can portion them out better than the gels.  If I down a whole packet of gel, I dump.   Everyone's system seems to be a little different and it takes a bit of trial and error to find out what works best.

Congratulations on having a fitness goal even before you undergo surgery.  Finding something that you enjoy doing, like running, is key to long-term success after weight-loss surgery.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/09 11:46 pm
 Thanks, Cassie. I love the clif bloks! Good to know that they have worked with you. I liked the sports beans too. I did a 1/2 mary in January and that was my first time using the bloks and I liked how you could break up a serving of 3. When I used to do really long runs the gels would hit my stomach like a rock after the 2nd or 3rd. The bloks are nice because you can divide them up. 

I have trained for a marathon twice and never got to actually do the event, once because of an injury, once because of a family emergency. I truly think doing the training and not getting to do the event is what sent me down a bad path. I can't wait to be able to get down to a healthy weight where I can start running again!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/30/09 6:00 am - Fort Worth, TX
In my opinion, Cliff stuff... Shot blocks, gels, and electrolyte drinks are the best for RNY'ers because they are sweetened with Evaporated Cane juice, which is NOT a refined sugar, which should not cause dumping. But, as Cassie said, everyone is different. It will be trial and error when you finally get to that point. BEst of luck on everything....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 5/30/09 12:38 am - Port Huron, MI
 I've never had any issues with gels or sport beans.  Haven't tried the Cliff blocks yet.  I know everyone is different but it was explained to me that while we're exercising the sugar hits our system quite different then 'normal' eating.  I know if I drink a Gatorade while exercising I feel fine, if I drink one before I go I get a little sick.
--Dan
Seht
on 5/30/09 12:35 pm
I have been experimenting recently and I have not had a problem with any of the gels or sports beans.
the quantity involved in these is small enough that it doesn't seem to be an issue.  However I bet if I ate 2 or 3 of them at once is could be an issue.  But I don't see that happening. 

I do have a couple longer runs coming up, so I think I will be experimenting with different combinations.
I want to know whats going to affect me and how etc., before it is in a race situation.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

levittown_loser
on 5/31/09 12:01 am - Levittown, PA
Just throwing this out there since we don't have many DS'rs on here and it's not as common and you may not have heard of it!

No dumping with the DS.   

www.dsfacts.com       and    http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,5357/

Closest surgeons would be in NYC for you:

New York

Daniel M. Herron, MD, FACS *
Email: [email protected]
Mount Sinai Program for Surgical Weight Loss
5 East 98th St., 14th Floor
P.O. Box 1259
New York, NY 10029
Phone: 212-241-5339

William B. Inabnet, MD, FACS *

Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery
161 Fort Washington Ave
New York, NY 10032
Phone: 212-305-4000
Fax: 212-305-0445

Heather McMullen, MD
Jeffrey Nicastro, MD

Center for the Surgical Treatment for Obesity
North Campus of Staten Island University Hospital
256 Mason Avenue
Building B - 2nd Floor
Staten Island, NY 10305
Phone: 718-226-1300 or 1-866-285-8444 toll free

William O'Malley, MD, FACS

Bariatric Surgery Center at Highland Hospital
1000 South Ave.
Box 20
Rochester, NY 14620
Phone: 585-341-6543
Fax: 585-341-6544

Alfons Pomp, MD *

Weill Cornell Weight Loss Surgery Program
1305 York Ave
New York, NY 10021
Phone: 212-746-5294
Fax: 212-746-5236

Mitchell Roslin, MD, FACS *
Paresh C. Shah, MD, FACS *

Lenox Hill Hospital
Manhattan Minimally Invasive & Bariatric Surgery Program
186 East 76th Street, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10021
Phone: 212-434-3285 or 1-888-949-9334 toll free
Fax: 212-434-3250

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Judi J.
on 6/1/09 2:41 am - MN
my husband is an RNYer and a marathoner. He has no problem with the beans and is experimenting with the Hammer gels. They seem to have the lowest sugar.

He tried not eating after 6pm before his first marathon and only doing the electrolyte drink and the beans during. He cramped really bad for the last mile and was told he must eat. So he is trying the gels and running another marathon June 20th.
Most Active