Got banned from my gym yesterday.

Scott William
on 5/29/09 12:05 am
I am going to give the really short version because there is too much detail involved but to save the suspence, I am no longer welcome at my old gym.

Yesterday, I show up at my gym and see that there is a $25 maintenance fee being taken out on June 1.  I know its not a lot and most gyms do it but for me it was the timing and the fact that I may not have the $ in there when it comes out.  I can see overdraft fees in my future.  When I signed up there was no fee in my contract.  I called to complain but was told, too bad.  The fee is for everyone and they don't make exceptions. 

He tells me to call the company that takes the money out and ask them about it.  I know that they don't care but I call anyway and am told that,  "It's a gym issue".  I try to call the gym back but my three calls over 10 minutes go unanswered.  I then drive to the gym that does the billing (also where I called) and ask  what I have to do to cancell my membership.  He gives me a slip of paper and says to fill it out.  I list about 14 reasons including no water fountain, no scale, broken equipment, etc...  He looks at it, chuckles and watches me leave.

Fast forward, 5 hours.  I realize that the fee will still come out so I call again and a different person answers.  I go through the same thing with explaining why I am not paying and she has no answers.  I ask to speak to the owner or to have him call and she says, "its not gonna happen". I said, "really, that's your answer.  You are about as easy to deal with as that thick head I talked too this morning".

She lost her mind.  She said, "I am not going to take this.  You are not going to swear at me and call my employees names.  Have a good day".  Then she hung up.

I called back and she answered after about 20 rings which honestly surprised me.  They must have caller ID because she answered with a real attitude and the guy in the morning was ducking me.  Anyway, she continued to yell at me about calling names and said, "tell me your name and I will cancell you immediately".  I said, "great" and told her.  Here is the good part:  She said, "consider yourself cancelled and if you step foot in either gym again, you will be arrested for trespassing!"

Maybe she thought I said D*ck head but I never raised my voice.  I think that there are many many people who are complaining about the issue and I was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I am happy to be gone.  Now I can join the nice gym with all the hot chicks!!!  ;)  It's the same price but a bit farther from home. 

Horray!!!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kevin A.
on 5/29/09 1:07 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Well if OH start charging a maintenance fee we know who let complain!! Can't wait to hear about your new gym!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Scott William
on 5/29/09 4:45 am
I just gave them the idea.  Sorry!
Scott

Sherry_Berry
on 5/29/09 1:16 am - Dacula, GA
Heh. Typical CT business folks! I can say that...I was born and raised there!

Snort. I'll be driving up to CT on Wednesday.

I'll make sure to avoid your gym.

I'll be here racing on Sunday (relay)...

www.rev3tri.com
Scott William
on 5/29/09 4:39 am
Where is the race Sunday?  I knew about the quassi race (that I can't make due to work).  Boy they were frustrating.
Scott

Sherry_Berry
on 5/29/09 5:35 pm - Dacula, GA
The rev 3 is at quassy on June 7th...too bad you have to work! :(
kypdurran
on 5/29/09 2:47 am - Baton Rouge, LA

A maintenance fee?   Never heard of that.   If it's not in your contract and you didn't sign anything to that effect then they shouldn't be able to charge you for it.    I know it's not worth it, but if you REALLY wanna be a dick and you have access to a lawyer then get him to draft up a nice letter to screw with them. :)

Scott William
on 5/29/09 4:42 am

Usually I am a very reactive person.  This time I acted proactively and put a stop on the withdrawl of the money at my bank.  It was worth the $15 to keep them from $25.  Sounds silly now that I print it but what the hell.

All the gyms in my area are doing this.  They supposedly, buy and repair equipment with the money.   It makes me wonder what the monthly fee is for?

Scott

BOS02215
on 5/29/09 4:10 am
Sounds like it was an opportune time to move on!  It's too bad you had to spend so much time and effort in getting what you wanted in the first place; a cencellation.

Good luck at the gym with the hot chicks! 
Scott William
on 5/29/09 4:44 am
It was definitely time.  It was actually about 2.5 years overdue.  Happy to be banned.

Unfortunately, my fiancee is one of the hot chicks so it will be dark sunglasses and an Ipod for me. 
Scott

Most Active