Need some nutrition advice

Darrell H.
on 5/28/09 11:49 pm - Sinton, TX
The best time to get in my swims during the week is at 5 am. I am definately a morning person and always have been, but swimming early has been just down right draining me. On the weekends I swim in the afternoon and feel so much more energized. I assume this is because of nutrition. I eat a good healthy meal at night. Then on swim days I wake up at 4 am and then drive 35 minutes away to the pool. The only calories I get in is a gatorade about 5-10 minutes before the workout. I am just so concerned about eating before my swim workout. I could wake up a little earlier and eat something, but do any of you have any suggestions as to what. I really believe I need to refuel the tank, but I dont want to over do it. This morning the natatorium had changed from 2 sets of 25 yard lanes to one set of 50 meter lanes in preparation of this weekends swim meet. I was excited about the longer distance, but just did not have the energy to enjoy the workout like I do when I swim in the afternoons. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
dlamp
on 5/29/09 1:56 am - Ildeyld Park, OR
I would try a piece of 100% whole wheat toast with some peanutbutter on it. It is quick and you can eat it on the run. You will get in some complex carbs and some protein.

Derrick

Rny  07/20/2004. 
My other site is: http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/

mcarthur01
on 5/29/09 1:56 am - Cumming, GA
i had the same issue, i live about 30 minutes from the gym and get up @ 4:00 AM to workout.  I consulted a sports nut (who also works with bariatric patients) and she has me make 2 slices of toast, the pepperidge farm very thin whole wheat toast, put about a tbspn of peanut butter and a tbspn of honey on it and i'm good to go for the workout.  i eat it in the car on the way to the gym.  i have a protein shake, a bannana, and about a half a cup of yogurt post-workout.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

MacMadame
on 5/29/09 3:24 am - Northern, CA
I try to eat my normal breakfast before I work out. Sometimes I don't fini**** due to lack of time, but I try. Since it's a protein shake, I can drink it while I drive. (Though not very fast and once I spilled it all over the car!)

I also drink my special mix (protein drink & GU2O) during swimming. I've seen people do gels in the middle of a hard swim workout too.

You have to fuel during swimming just like you would for biking & running, IMO. You aren't visibly sweating, but you are burning calories and you are probably losing electrolytes too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Darrell H.
on 5/29/09 8:29 am - Sinton, TX
Thanks everyone. I will definately start eating something in the mornings!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Most Active