Excited for my first tri!

saxman007
on 5/28/09 12:43 pm, edited 5/28/09 1:50 pm - Port Huron, MI
So I've got a little more than a week before I join you triathlon veterans.  My first two are going to kick my butt I think, but it's all good.  Next week it's a weird type of sprint: .5 mile swim,  14 mile bike, 5 mile run (not 5K-5 mile trail).  I'm gonna do a brick or two this weekend then throw on my race wheels and enjoy them for a week.  Haven't done as much biking as I wish but can keep an average pedal cadence of 85 so I'm pretty happy about that.  Figure for the 14 miles I should be able to hammer away at 21-22 mph comfortably.  Don't know if I've earned riding the bike/wheels I've got but it's gonna be fun:)  
Be interesting to see what a difference they make (I splurged and I got a Hed Jet 6 front and Jet Disc rear).  I may have the best looking gear of any middle of the pack guy (God I hope I'm middle of the pack and not the last one in!)
For those of you that are experienced in these things, since my first A race I consider is my HIM August 1, should I worry about tapers and such or just view this as training?  I am doing a 5K the day before but not sure if the guy I'm running with wants to pu**** or not.
Sorry I've been absent, just been slammed at school -- 3 more weeks till work out heaven:)
--Dan
MacMadame
on 5/28/09 3:26 pm - Northern, CA
It depends on your fitness level and how long you've been working out.

I tapered for my first Sprint but for the one I'm doing next weekend, the distances are short enough and I'm fit enough, that I'm just considering it a hard workout day. But I figure it will take me 90 minutes tops and I do 90 minute workouts all the time.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 5/29/09 2:10 am
Dan, 

If I recall correctly, you had done some significant running in the past.  This is going to be a walk in the park for you.  Most of the sprints are set up so that people succeed.  They are the bait that gets you hooked into doing Tri's

You are most likely not going to need to taper.  If you feel comfortable with all 3 of the disciplines, it's going to be just like what Macmadame said.  Just a 60 minute workout for you.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 5/29/09 6:44 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Dan enjoy your first few races and just look at them as training days.   Get used to the excitement of the race and participating on the course with other people. 

As far as the bike goes...   It's not about how fast you actually are but rather how fast you LOOK!  All decked out with a carbon disc wheel on the back and a Jet 6 on the front you are gonna look smokin' fast!  

Best of luck!

Chad

Most Active