50statemarathonclub...who's with me

Chris S.
on 5/28/09 2:58 am - SC
I'd love to do an ironman as my ultimate goal....but I have to come to terms with the fact that I sink, and cannot swim for anything

But I do love runnig marathons, and have decided to pursue joining the "50 State Marathon Club". You need 10 marathons under your belt to join, and to date there are only 1181 members. Not sure how many have completed the task

I signed up for the Drakewell Marathon in PA this August, am looking at the Mardi Gras Marathon in Feb. That will give me 5 (FLA, SC, DE, PA, LA)....I can knock out GA, TN, NC, NY, CT (family is up there in NY/CT)....

I'm thinking this will give me a life long goal. PLUS-ultra's count too! and I am signed up for a 24 hour race this Sept in NC (where my goal is 50 miles) ( www.hinsonlake24hour.com )

Who's with me...it'll be hard for the southern states but will keep me motivated-thats for sure for several years to come. I just worry about losing motivation in years to come

Chris

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.....John Bingham aka The Penguin

MaryS
on 5/28/09 3:08 am - Long Island, NY
Chris,

This is cool, thanks for the info. I had a goal of doing a race in all 50 states, but I might have to up that to a marathon now.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Chris S.
on 5/28/09 11:00 pm - SC
You can do it Mary! and I think planning it will be fun. At least I know I will be looking to see all 50 states by (hopefully) I hit 60!

Chris
Cassie W.
on 5/28/09 8:23 am
Hi Chris,

The "50 State Marathon Club" is on my list of goals.  I've got NY, PA, FL and VT, so far.  My fall marathon is another NY because I need something close.  But, I'm hoping for TX in January 2010.  I figure living in the northeast will make it easy to acquire the prerequisite 10 states without breaking the bank.    It's certainly a long-term motivator.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Darrell H.
on 5/28/09 12:25 pm - Sinton, TX
Cassie,

Jan 2010 the Cevron Houston Marathon takes place. Supposedly a very fast course and a very well put on event. That will be my 1st marathon. You ought to head on down here.

Darrell
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Cassie W.
on 5/28/09 8:04 pm
Darrell,

Houston is my target race for Texas.  I was raised outside of Houston and still have family there.  Of the many races my brother has run, he says the Houston Marathon is among the best.  It sounds like it will be a great race for both of us.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Chris S.
on 5/28/09 10:59 pm - SC

Excellent Cassie! I look forward to being a fellow member with you. Is your hubby going to join too? I wonder how many married couples have achieved that goal-I am guessing not many at all!

When I add up the Delaware Marathon trip I think-oh man what was I thinking...it gets expensive. Next time I am going to try and stay with friends (hotel 3 days $312) and hopefully save on the food (approx $60)...nothing you can do about the gas to get there though..

Mardi Gras has a GREAT marathon-and being in New Orleans the course is totally flat, and you run down Bourbon Street I think...

Good luck to you!

Rob S.
on 5/28/09 9:24 pm - DE
Great goal to achieve.  I'm not sure I could ever get an event in every state, because my wife is more interested in my doing a bunch of the Canadian cities.  Plus, I have too many biking events during the year.  I'm thinking right now about signing up for the Niagara Falls marathon on October 25th.  It is the only two country marathon and it ends at the Falls.   Good luck to you and keep up that motivation.  By the way, I'm told that Baltimore has a nice marathon so you could knock out MD, or check and see if there is one along the Chesapeake.
Keep up the good work.
Rob
Chris S.
on 5/28/09 11:04 pm - SC
Thanks Rob.

REALLY?? Niagra Falls NY starts in US then to Canada? that sounds like alot of fun! I went to college up near Niagra Falls NY/Buffalo area. THAT would be a fantastic race to do, depending on the time of year though!

I'll look into MD. Along the Chesapeake would be a really pretty run. We vacationed in Ocean City MD several times and the drive up there along the Chesapeake is gorgeous. Thanks for the tip

So-why the Canadian cities? Is your wife from Canada?

Chris
Scott William
on 5/28/09 11:39 pm
Chris,
I am defenitely not in. ;)  Perhaps a race in every state but not a marathon for me.  I hate them.  I actually hate training for them.  Those 16-18 milers give me too much anxiety.  Don't know why though. 

I do have 6 states down already.  CT, VT, NY, FL, MA and RI. 

There is also a group in Connecticut that wants to run a race in every town in the state.  I am more thinking of doing that.  There are 130? towns in the state and mine is one of the 8 that don't have an annual race.  I really want to be the guy to put it on but that sort of thing does not match my personality.

Hartford is October 10 and I am signed up for the 1/2.  I was thinking about a half in every state.  Keeps the motivation without the high milage runs.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active