Running outside for the first time = weird neck pain. Any advice?

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/09 11:38 pm - Eastern, PA
OK, here's a question for you runners out there...

I have begun running outside for the first time in my life. I have always been active post WLS, and have been a habitual elliptical and/or treadmill user for the better part of six years.

Well, I've been dying to get out of the gym and see the neighborhood a bit, so I finally broke down and started running last week. I am running 3.1 miles in 34-35 minutes, which as far as I can tell, is decent. I do not have cardio issues at all. I get a little winded and slow down to a jog a few times over the course of the run, but for the most part, keep a steady stride.

The first day I ran was fine, and my legs were predictably sore the day after, but I ran again anyway the next day, and felt fine, but with sore legs for the next day and a half or so.

I took the weekend off, and ran again yesterday morning.

Here's the weird part. The middle of my back between my shoulder blades leading up to my neck were so sore last night. Not excruciating, but certainly persistent "hot" pain.

I finally took some Tylenol last night and had my fiancee slather some Absorbine Jr on my back, and that helped a lot.

I did not run this morning, but did do an hour on the elliptical. My neck is not sore at all, but just a little stiff.

The run I have been doing is on pavement, a mix of slight up and downhill grades. I have a good pair of running shoes, and my feet don't hurt at all.

Any ideas about why my neck would be sore?

My plan right now is to alternate days between running on a machine and running outside and hope that I will build up some muscle endurance that lessens any soreness I get from running.

Does that sound like a good idea to you guys?

I thank you in advance for any help!

Sherry_Berry
on 5/27/09 8:00 am - Dacula, GA
Sounds MAYBE like a running form issue. Are you relaxing your shoulders? Your upper body should look relaxed and when you "pump" your arms, they should go straight and not go across your body.

The elliptical will keep your arms tracking correctly. Perhaps that's why you don't feel anything there.
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/09 10:04 pm - Eastern, PA
Thanks for the advice. I made a concious effort this morning to keep my arms out at the side of my body and not cross them over my chest AND keep my shoulders relaxed, and so far, so good.

I appreciate the input!
Most Active