My First 5 MILE Race Report!

BOS02215
on 5/25/09 10:52 pm
Why didn't I notice the race was in MILES and not kilometers when I signed up???  Sunday morning's Run to Remember consisted of a 5 mile and a Half Marathon throughout Boston.

Like a previous poster, my only goals were to not stop running and not finish last. I accomplished both! Yay! I have never run 5 miles all at once in my entire life. Ever!

I made the mistake of running while trying to sip water at the first aid station so I briefly walked to sip at the second. Man, my legs felt like jelly walking. It actually felt BETTER to run again.

Before I even made it to the second aid station I was passed by the eventual winner of the half marathon... and before I finished, I was passed by MANY of the half marathon finishers... thankfully I saw no 8 year old girls!  My unofficial time was an hour and 12 minutes, but I won't have the official time until this week and I still haven't done the math on how many minute miles that is. I know it's pretty darn slow, though. It doesn't matter because I finished and I ran the whole way. Very exciting to me.

Next up is a 5k in CA in 2 weeks! Piece of cake!  
DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/25/09 11:57 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Good for you... Way to go!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mcarthur01
on 5/26/09 12:02 am - Cumming, GA
lol... doh! on the miles vs. kilometers, that would've been a rude awakening for me as well!  Great work pushing through....
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Hawgman
on 5/26/09 12:11 am - TX
Great job accomplishing both of your goals! 
You got to watch the eight year old girls!!  :)
Scott William
on 5/26/09 1:08 am
Way to go.  Congrats on hitting your goals.  One tip:  Scrunch the top of the cup to a point to make the drinking easier.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 5/26/09 1:09 am
Congrats, that does sound like a rude surprise.
You should be very happy with your performance and the ability to add 2 miles onto an event that you weren't expecting.

Good job.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active