A 5k for a newbie...am I INSANE????

Three4Me
on 5/26/09 3:14 am

Hi..I usually post on the Tennessee forum....I had WLS on 3/17/2009...I have lost about 61 pounds & really started to increase my workouts, but I think that I have officially lost my mind.  I am sure of it.  I think that this whole WLS-thing has gotten to my head & now I have really gone & done it. 

It all started a few nights ago when I was looking for new shoes.  A friend of mine suggested Fleet Feet in Brentwood (she is a personal trainer at the Franklin Y), because I have been walk/running most mornings & have worked up to walking a couple of miles & then running from 1/2 to 1 mile during my walks.  That's been working well for me & I like working out from home because I like the kids to see me making physical fitness part of each & every day.

So, back to my craziness.....so, I go to Fleet Feet to find out about getting some really good walking/running shoes to protect my feet from injuries that you can get running on pavement.  While I am on their website I see this:

Upcoming beginner 5k training

No Boundaries National Training Program

Brought to you by Fleet Feet Sports and New Balance

This Spring, join Fleet Feet Sports and New Balance to walk or run your first 5k.  The program focuses on beginners, but all levels of walkers and runners are welcome.  The program is structured to help you cross the finish line of your first 5k in less than three months.  Along the way we'll be providing you with motivation to keep you moving, guidance and advice, weekly group training runs or walks, and educational clinics on topics such as proper nutrition, choosing the right gear, and avoiding injury.  Plus, you'll have the camaraderie of others just like you.

Brentwood Fleet Feet: Did you miss out on our current No Boundaries training program?  Don't let that stop you!  We will start another round of training in August, in preparation for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  Check out the Training page for more information on the No Boundaries couch to 5K program. 

Plan to attend an informational meeting on Tuesday, July 21st at 6:30 pm at the store to learn more about our 10-week training program. 

The first group practice will take place on Tuesday, August 4 at 6:30 pm at the Fleet Feet store.

We'll get you motivated, inspired, and across the finish line!

So, of course, through a fog of 1am insanity I SIGN UP for this--see, this is why you shouldn't be on your computer at 1am just poking around.....normal people would be sleeping.  But, in my exhaustion I decide this will be a great experience. WHAT???  I just had WLS 10 weeks ago...what am I doing? 

I know that 5k is only 3.1 miles ("only" I say...ha! I haven't run that far since I was in my early 20s!)...and, I think I can muscle through it, but what really, really, really terrifies me is the weekly workouts with the other runners on Tuesday nights....I just have this fear of being so far behind everyone else that they are all waiting on me at the finish line, annoyed.

After high school I went on to run the Bay To Breakers Run in San Francisco (12 miles) because I just had to prove to myself that I could train & run that far ..so, I did it & that was the end of it. But now, here I am, 20 years later with something else to prove....the idea that I could go from weighing 293 pounds in March to running a 5k in October of the same year........oh my goodness.....what am I doing? 

I sure hope when they say that this No Boundaries program is for all levels of fitness they really mean it!!

With this program, we practice for three months & then run The Race for the Cure in October.   Because I have not been on this forum before, has anyone done this just 6-7 months after surgery?  HELP!  Need motivation & support & confirmation that I am not insane (or that I am!)   xo, Micheala.

mcarthur01
on 5/26/09 4:32 am - Cumming, GA
I am just shy of my 7 month surgery anniversary and I ran my first 5K yesterday.  Yes it is very possible.  Just focus and take it easy, the fitness will come with hard work.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Elisa K.
on 5/26/09 5:16 am - Lumberton, NJ
I was a non-runner, until I did a No Boundaries program last spring.   It is true - the program is for all levels of fitness.  My group had runners, run/walkers, and walkers.  I was the slowest of the runners (and slower than some of the run/walkers) but the group was very encouraging, and I never felt bad because I was slower than most of the others.  

It really is a great program - it made running obtainable to me.  Now I run and race regularly - I am hooked - I love it!!

Enjoy the program!! 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/26/09 6:29 am - Fort Worth, TX
Anything is possible! You got 5k no problem.... 9 months post op I competed in my first triathlon, next month another. 11 month surgiversary completed my first 26.2 mile marathon in 4:53:--.. two months later finished a second 26.2 mile marathon in 4:23:01, this month finished my 1st 70.3 Ironman triathlon. Two answers to your questions.... 1. Yes it's possible. 2. You are crazy... But, the good news is you have found a forum that is full of nut jobs! Welcome......
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 5/26/09 6:52 am
Just do it!!!

Why because you can!!!

You will find lots of support and encouragement here on this board.

Run, Walk, Crawl, You set your pace and intensity, but starting is the key.
As you get used to these events, you will probably get addicted.  It is a great feeling of accomplishment to do something that you may not have been able to do before.

Everyone here will be rooting and cheering for you.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

BOS02215
on 5/26/09 7:23 am
You can absolutely do this!  What better way to take off the weight faster than train for a walk/run?   Two months after my RNY I participated in a 5k/obstacle course/scavenger hunt. I walked a lot of the route. I didn't do all of the obstacle course... but I still finished (an hour and 28 minutes later!!) 

If I can do it, anyone can! Even you!
MacMadame
on 5/26/09 10:19 am - Northern, CA
I used the Couch-to-5K program instead but it amounts to the same thing. These programs are designed to get you to succeed at the distance you select.

I did my first 5K 6 months out from surgery and my first triathlon 3 weeks later, btw. It can be done.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

abgisme
on 5/26/09 10:23 am
You can do it!  I did a 10k on my 8 month anniversary.  I power walked most of it, as planned, and finished in 1:22.
PamelaDV
on 5/26/09 11:53 am - Apex, NC
You can do it!  Being slow bothers me at times, too, but I am reminded by good friends that even a lot of people who think they are "fit" can't run a 5K without stopping.  But I did it!  And if I can do it - trust me - anyone can do it.  I have to learn to stop comparing myself to others and work on my own goals.  I am already signed up for my second 5K in just 2 weeks!

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

Cassie W.
on 5/26/09 11:53 am
As you can see, there are many of us here who have been inspired to make fitness a regular part of our lives and it's certainly possible for you to run a 5K in October.  Signing up for a race is one of the best ways to maintain your commitment to fitness because you have something to work towards. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active