My first 5K Race Report

PamelaDV
on 5/24/09 5:15 am, edited 5/24/09 10:18 am - Apex, NC
OK - so I did my first 5K yesterday!

I participated in the Skirt Chaser 5K.  It was lots of fun.  Sponsored by SkirtSports (check them out at skirtsports.com) the women get running skirts and shirts that say "Catch Me If You Can" and they get a 3 minute head start on the guys - thus the skirt chaser.  :)

I had two goals - to not stop - and to not be last.  I didn't stop and I wasn't last!  I was beat by an 8 year old - but whatever.  :)  My time was 45:05.1.  I know - really slow - but I didn't stop.  And the hills - OMG the hills!  At the end I was so ready to be done that the last two hills I sprinted up.  I had a great friend from work who ran with me - she stayed right with me the whole time and was so encouraging.  It was like having my very own cheerleader!

So I have already signed up for my next 5K - it's in 2 weeks.  Hoping to better my time.  Just can't believe I'm even doing this.  

We all make goals when we want to have this surgery - but this was NEVER one of them.  I never said I wanted to start running - much less run in 5K's, etc....  So this is just so wild for me. 

I will post a pic soon.

Thanks so much for all the support!

ETA:  Here's a pic of me almost at the finish line - it's my impression of a Jell-o commercial.  Watch it wiggle!  See it jiggle!

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/24/09 6:37 am - Fort Worth, TX
Good job.... You deff got the bug... There is nothing like racing!  Way to go that's awesome!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

levittown_loser
on 5/24/09 7:13 am - Levittown, PA
Congrats Pam!!   Awesome job.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Markrb
on 5/24/09 8:04 am - MA
Congrats on your race. I did my first last week and can't wait to sign up for my next race. I'm thinking, another 5K, then doing a 10K. I'm glad to hear you had fun, that's what it's all about.
304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

MacMadame
on 5/24/09 8:22 am - Northern, CA
"I was beat by an 8 year old - but whatever. "

Heh. When I did my first 5K, I was beaten by a 5 year old. And a woman with a stroller. Oh, and a dog.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 5/24/09 10:09 am
Hey congrats on the 5k and the milestones.

So what do the guys get when they catch you 

Keep up the race reports.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

PamelaDV
on 5/24/09 10:17 am - Apex, NC
Actually they have awards at the end  - like the first couple to cross hand in hand.  They also have an award for the couple most likely to make out at a water station.  If you are single they give you this sticker to wear so that the guys that are "chasing" you know you are available, etc...  I didn't have one on - but I made my friend, Jen, wear one.  :)

saxman007
on 5/24/09 10:35 am - Port Huron, MI
 I NEED to find one of these races!!!!  Sounds like an absolute blast, way to go and great report!!!
--Dan
Sherry_Berry
on 5/24/09 10:50 am - Dacula, GA
YAY! Skirtsports is one of my sponsors! I was actually there! You prolly saw me. I was at the merchandise booth on the other side of the changing tent. I had on a white top, green skirt and white TRIKS visor.

You have extra "junk" in the legs like me. Crap. I even had a thigh lift. So much for that. Which skirt is that? Marathon girl? Skirt Chaser race belt skirt?

I think you will do really well with the gym girl ultra. The shorties underneath are longer, which in the "long run" will prevent chaffing.

I should be getting my public discount code to hand out soon...so I'll pass it onto you whence I get it.

The coupon should also be available for use in inside out sports so you won't have to pay shipping. (Or any other retail store).

Great job on your first 5k! Racing and race fashion is absolutely ADDICTING!

The skirt chaser course is HARD and HILLY! Well done on a tough course!

PS-if you volunteer next year, you can get some free gear and a nice discount on skirt chaser merchandise the day of the race. You can also run the race if you volunteer.
PamelaDV
on 5/24/09 8:41 pm - Apex, NC
Thanks for that info!  It was the Skirt Chaser race belt skirt.  I couldn't get the dang buttons to come off so I could put my number on!  I even asked someone in the merchandise booth!  But I loved running in that skirt!  I will have to get that gym girl ultra.  I love their stuff.

That course was hard!  Dang!

And thanks for the tip on volunteering!  I will definitely have to do that next year.  It was fun!

Most Active