Dumb question but I need help

Darrell H.
on 5/20/09 9:34 pm - Sinton, TX
How long does it normally take a butt to get used to a bike seat? It is kind of uncomfortable during my rides, but the next day or 2 my butt is sore. lol. Any advice. I am already wearing tri shorts. I dont really want to buy the thicker bike shorts since that would be uncomfortable to run in. Thanks for any help.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/20/09 10:09 pm - Fort Worth, TX
When you are training just on the bike and are not "Bricking", I highly recommend wearing Cycling shorts for sure. Also, be sure to put Body Glide on your "Garbage" down there, and on the chamois, and that will help a lot. Unfortunately, any amount of weight sitting on a little seat is going to take some getting used to, but it gets better. When I first started off with Spin class, I had to leave after 30 minutes because my "Hind Parts" hurt. My 2 cents.....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kypdurran
on 5/20/09 11:59 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Hey Darrell.  I went through five saddles before I found one that I could tolerate on long rides over 2 hours.   I'm currently riding a Profile Design Tri-Stryke Elite and I love it.   Well... I tolerate it.   When I can get off the bike after a 4 hour ride and my butt isn't the first thing on my mind that's hurting then that's always a good thing.  Strangely enough when I do wear my thicker padded onesie bike shorts I'm not as comfortable as I am in my tri-shorts.   I pretty much wear my tri shorts now exclusively to train in.

Like Dan said lube is always a plus and can help prevent a great deal of friction.  You'll always find a big tub of vaseline in my tri-bag.   I could prolly go with some of the fancier lube and maybe smell fresher or something but I'm happy with my ghetto, no-name petroleum jelly.   Maybe it's just that I like the words pertroleum & jelly together. :)

Good luck in your search for saddle zen. :)

Chad

MacMadame
on 5/21/09 1:09 am - Northern, CA
Also be sure you have a bike fit so that you are in the proper position on your bike and the seat is the right size for you.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Darrell H.
on 5/21/09 11:21 pm - Sinton, TX
Thanks everyone. I will definately try these ideas. I have a 60 minute ride this evening.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Cheryl N.
on 5/23/09 8:43 am - Des Moines, WA
Gel bike seat pad helps too!! I have one!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Most Active